Mirrors for 2500

bobg333

Last night I backed my new Ram 2500/Grandby combo into my driveway for the first time and discovered that I could not see the top rear of the camper as it veered toward the post holding up my carport. No damage done, but I can imagine problems backing in unfamiliar territory in the future. Any other Ram 2500 people out there who have solved this?

Bob in LA
2000 Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 Grandby

I'm the wrong guy to ask. I did 3k worth of damage at the ATC factory. I opted not to get those giant mirrors because I dont like the way they look. And after the backing adventure last month you can bet if I dont have help I'll be getting out to see where I'm going.

Backin Up

The combination of aux. backup lighting and a backup camera has saved me from big $$ damage at least twice, not to mention my two lazy dogs who seem unphased by a 6000# truck

I'm the wrong guy to ask. I did 3k worth of damage at the ATC factory. I opted not to get those giant mirrors because I dont like the way they look. And after the backing adventure last month you can bet if I dont have help I'll be getting out to see where I'm going.

Now that I've visited the ATC factory I can sure understand how you did that. As I pulled away I went "hmm, I didn't see those posts in my rearview mirror".

Backing up

I can't help you with your particular application, but my company of 600+ employees has the policy that every employee must review every accident (OSHA recordable, lost time, contractor accidents, motor vehicle accidents, etc.) and a clear pattern has emerged - most motor vehicle accidents involving company and contractor vehicles occur while backing up. There have been some really amazing accidents while backing up!

Furthermore, they have recently implemented a policy in which before backing up in a company vehicle there must either be a spotter or the driver must do a complete walk around. Failure to use one of these two methods could result in a two day suspension without pay.

I've been fortunate over the years and only backed into 1 tree that was clearly in my rear view, but I was too busy watching the side mirrors to notice it. I've had numerous close calls and subscribe to my company's policy and like chnlisle will get out and look, even if I "know" what is behind me.

Ed,
I'd been retired 3 years from the school bus biz when I had my accident at ATC. But I can tell you after 30 years at LAUSD, many of them as a transportation analyst my studies and others in the industry came to the same conclusions as your company.

As Marty will tell you when I got out to look at what I'd done the stream of colorful language I was spouting was directed directly at me. I had not learned lessons I was teaching others for 30 years. A school bus was rarely if ever to be backed and only with a spotter whether at a school with pupils present or at a garage at midninght. The rule was no spotter no reversing. And that's with vehicles that have more mirrors than The Louvre. All the devices in the world can't take the place of ones wife screaming stop.

I put the large Cipa power mrrors on my Dodge. They work great but do look pretty funky. The 3rd gen Dodge power towing mirrors can be adapted to out 2nd gen trucks.

Back
Top Bottom