Mitchell Caverns

Have to admit I wasn' t aware of Mitchell Caverns or the SP. Need to take a week off and head down there.

What is the camping situation in the area? Is there a campground or is dispersed camping permitted?

I'm not familiar with the rules and regs in the Mojave Preserve.

PJorgen said:
What is the camping situation in the area? Is there a campground or is dispersed camping permitted?

I'm not familiar with the rules and regs in the Mojave Preserve.
There are several campgrounds in the preserve, plus I believe you can camp at Kelso dunes.

Yes, there is a very nice campground up the road at "Hole In The Wall". Also horse camping, and disbursed down closer to Hwy 40/Rt 66.
When you come to this area, do not miss visiting the Schoolhouse, at Goffs, for more info than your brain can absorb, Kelso Station also has a small museum, as does Goffs. Pick up a copy of "The Mojave Road Guide", by Dennis G. Casebier, it will show you more about the entire Eastern Mojave than you will get from regular maps and trails. Also fairly close is the Amboy Crater, The Desert Megaphone, and lots of ghost towns and old railroad history. From Afton Cyn, to Ludlow, to the Colorado River, this area is vast, but fragile and in some places....over used. I am an off road 4X4 lover, and am exploring the desert almost every month, as I too live in the high desert.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom