Moab UT area in the winter?

Durango1

So Sioux and I are taking our three adult kids to Moab today for a four day weekend. (Sorry, but we're renting a condo. The kids aren't big winter campers.) We've been going to Moab for 35 years but I still really trust this group's suggestions.

We'll be in our AWD Highlander and just want to do day trips out of Moab with "light hiking". Our Dominican daughter-in-law has never seen canyon country so of course we'll do Arches. What other ideas does everyone have for "high visual impact" (pretty) :) drives and short winter hikes?

Thanks in advance! (My apologies for not posting this sooner. It suddenly struck me- what better resource than this bunch of "wanderers"!)

Steve

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Head up River and visit Fisher Towers. If the La Sal loop is open, maybe do it.
Good idea. Fisher Towers are very accessible and it is a pretty drive up the Colorado River. Anyone else?

Onion Creek would be on my list as well as long as you're heading upstream. If you go south maybe head out to Needles Overlook if you don't want to trek all the way out to the Needles proper.

Corona Arch would be another nice relatively short hike.

Grandview, or other overlooks at the Island in the Sky. Weather and road conditions permitting, a drive down the Shafer Trail usually gets the attention of first time visitors to Canyonlands. Goblin Valley?

Shafer Trail is closed due to snow.

Cayuse said:
Onion Creek would be on my list as well as long as you're heading upstream.
Sounds like a very nice trail that we've never done. But I'm getting mixed signals online on doing Onion Creek at least part way with a AWD Highlander. (Skillfully driven, of course!) What's the consensus?

BTW, we had a really nice (but tame) sunny afternoon in Arches National Park. Our Dominican daughter-in-law was suitably impressed!

Durango1 said:
Shafer Trail is closed due to snow.

Sounds like a very nice trail that we've never done. But I'm getting mixed signals online on doing Onion Creek at least part way with a AWD Highlander. (Skillfully driven, of course!) What's the consensus?

BTW, we had a really nice (but tame) sunny afternoon in Arches National Park. Our Dominican daughter-in-law was suitably impressed!
Onion Creek will be dependent on the creek crossings and what the flow is like, The road itself isn't bad at all but there are numerous crossings so tough to say without seeing conditions. Also what sort of tires on the Highlander? I've seen econo-box cars up there before but that was with low flows. What are the tires like on the Highlander? Good tread will be helpful.

Maybe we'll amble up to Fisher Towers/ Onion Creek tomorrow and cautiously try the first section. If nothing else we'll hike up the Fisher towers trail.

I'm pretty much a coward after having survived some pretty brave (and stupid) stuff in my youth. Thanks to all for your help and I'll report back.

Cold, cold, cold today. We made it past the Totem Pole on the Onion Creek road but the banked-the-wrong-way road combined with packed snow and ice convinced us to park and walk ahead on foot. Very nice walk and with the driving snow we had it to ourselves. surprised? :)

And yes, looking at Island in the sky/ Deadhorse for tomorrow.

Thanks to all for your help.

Back
Top Bottom