Death Valley Camping and Locations

It's first come - first served at stovepipe wells so we'll have to make do. I tried to make a group reservation at Furnace Creek but they were booked up.

Sunman,

I'm sure there will be no problem finding spaces. It is a huge flat gravel area (looks like a parking lot). We stopped at the Stovepipe Wells store (adjacent to the campground) to use the facilities the weekend between Christmas and New Years, which is a busy time in Death Valley, and there was lots of room. As someone stated earlier, this is probably the least appealling campground you will ever stay in, but it is convenient for the purposes of this rally. Have fun!

Thanks ML, I've driven by it several times and can see what you are saying.
Nothing a campfire and a few libations can't cure!

Ballarat

If you are coming to Death Valley from the southwest on Rt 178, it's worth a short stop in the almost ghost town of Ballarat. Ballarat was named after Ballarat, VIC, Australia by some immigrants from there.

The California gold rush of 1849 didn't pan out for most miners. A number them, having now seen where gold is found in California, traveled to Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, and other parts of the world to look for gold in the same kinds of deposits. Although gold had been found earlier in Australia in small quantities, it was not until 1851 that gold was found in large deposits in Ballarat - a lot of it by 49ers. The world's richest gold field ever discovered is in Ballarat.

But the Australian gold rush of 1851 didn't pan out for most miners. A number them, having now seen some different kinds of deposits where gold is found, came back to California. Some of them found gold in the canyons of the Panamint range. They were from Ballarat and they named the town Ballarat.

Jack,
Was hoping to make that happen along with a Barker Ranch/Mengel Pass run but now don't see that happening on this trip. Another time I guess.

FYI, we oughta be there by early Sat. afternoon. Plan on coming in 178 but hoping to detour via Emigrant Pass (conditions permitting) to Stovepipe Wells vice taking Panamint Valley Road/190 the whole way. Having a hard time discerning if the whole route is open via the "daily report". It says the charcoal kilns are accessible but the road is closed after them, which road i'm not sure. Also Aguereberry Point is accessible, gap between there and kilns closed? Need to find out.

**Edit**
For anyone interested I just spoke with the park service and that route is open in its entirety.

The truck is fueled up. Had an alignment done saturday. Rotated the tires today. Couldn't get monday off :( so sunday will be heading back for me. Really only leaves one day for exploring but so be it. I'm not backing out now. Three of us will be convoying down on friday from Sacramento.

Weather doesnt look like it will be a problem. No storms forecast either in the Sierra's or in DV.

My DV map says no campfires in DV. I get the feeling thats not the case? I have a couple boxes of firewood ready to bring.

For those of us coming from the north it looks like 395 to 136 to 190. Doubt we'd have time for anything more scenic.

Ballarat Friday night

As one of the three convoying with Craig, I like the idea as well.

BTW, DD, good show on the mission accomplished. :thumb: I have just about completed the collection I will be bringing for tasting and trading.

Ballarat

As the third one in the convoy down from Sacramento, Ballarat sounds fine with me. I'm a DV newbie so it will all be new.

I'm also up for a Ballarat meeting Friday afternoon. There's a small no frills campground next to the store.
Just east of the Stovepipe Wells campground there is a small ranger station where you can get permits, maps and etc. There may also be a bulletin board there where we can leave messages for those showing up later. Just a suggestion.
Can't wait till Friday

Dick

If the rendezvous will be Ballarat Friday night I can most likely be there around 9:00pm-ish vice Saturday.

Titus Canyon this weekend

The morning report continues to read Titus Canyon is closed due to snow and ice but the temps are in the 70's down there. So I called to ask if they thought it would open by this weekend. I was told there is a blockage by an area called Red Rocks. It is in a steep section and protected from sunshine. They are checking it regularly but felt it is unlikely it will be open soon. Oh well.

I'm gearing up for tomorrows departure and was horrified to find that I had a water leak at the pump or tank. I had checked the pump last week for damage as we had a week long deep freeze here earlier in the month.

Luckily, I don't think the issue is going to delay my departure. I need to look more closely at it but I think the issue is that the angled fitting that attaches the water supply hose to the tank has developed a leak where it attaches to the tank. There is minor leakage while filling the tank, and more than minor leakage if the tank is completely full and water remains in the hose. I think I fixed it by draining the tank a bit.

More inspection will probably have to wait until I get back. Hopefully this won't be an issue.

Wow, Hope it doesn't turn into a big issue.

I had a last minute calamity too, I'm off to pick up a new rear door window after work as somebody saw fit to smash mine out the night before last. Luckily the camper door won't open without a key and i didn't lose anything. A few other neighbors weren't quite as lucky.

I'm gearing up for tomorrows departure and was horrified to find that I had a water leak at the pump or tank. I had checked the pump last week for damage as we had a week long deep freeze here earlier in the month.

Luckily, I don't think the issue is going to delay my departure. I need to look more closely at it but I think the issue is that the angled fitting that attaches the water supply hose to the tank has developed a leak where it attaches to the tank. There is minor leakage while filling the tank, and more than minor leakage if the tank is completely full and water remains in the hose. I think I fixed it by draining the tank a bit.

More inspection will probably have to wait until I get back. Hopefully this won't be an issue.

Are you going the way of the FWC factory going or return trip?

Are you going the way of the FWC factory going or return trip?

I hadn't planned on it. I suspect this will be an easy thing to fix. Just sucks when these things pop up the day before departure.

If it is the filler hose...It screws onto the tank fitting. They put glue and then screw it down and then hose clamp...The filler door side just slides on with a hose clamp.

I have seen them leak at either end as the hose was too short and clamps not tight. Since it is screwed on at the tank, water can run up the threads. On two FWC for friends I had to buy a new length of hose and replace the factory installed one.

I can stop by FWC

DD, if you need something from FWC let me know tomorrow and I'll run out there in the afternoon and pick up. I'll bring it down to you on Friday.

Back
Top Bottom