Mobil Mart in Lee Vining, CA

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
Wednesday June 23 around noon two different rigs pulled in here. A silver/gray Tundra with a Hawk along with a nice wind faring and a Ranger II with wings on a white Toyota. Anyone here belong to them?

Mobil Mart is just up 120 from the junction with 395 in the bottom of Lee Vining Canyon. This is a must stop. You will find this place packed, and rightfully so with an incredible gourmet deli inside and plenty of outdoor seating. Imagine Wild Buffalo Meatloaf, Lobster Taquitos, Incredible Fish Tacos...............I'm getting hungry all over again!

Second the great food at the Mobil Mart (actually located just off 120 / 395 Jct., just south of LV).
Also, there's good water spigots for at the base of Tioga Pass right on the side of 120 just up from the Mobile Mart
for tanking up.

Do any skiing late June, 3pin?

Wednesday June 23 around noon two different rigs pulled in here. A silver/gray Tundra with a Hawk along with a nice wind faring and a Ranger II with wings on a white Toyota. Anyone here belong to them?

Mobil Mart is just up 120 from the junction with 395 in the bottom of Lee Vining Canyon. This is a must stop. You will find this place packed, and rightfully so with an incredible gourmet deli inside and plenty of outdoor seating. Imagine Wild Buffalo Meatloaf, Lobster Taquitos, Incredible Fish Tacos...............I'm getting hungry all over again!

I have heard of the legendary food in Lee Vining but did not realize it was in the Mobil Mart!

This place is legendary, heard about it from many but i've yet to experience it. Have plans for this summer.

I have heard of the legendary food in Lee Vining but did not realize it was in the Mobil Mart!

DD, we'll be about a half hour north of there during the XP Camper rally. Maybe you can work it in to a lunch stop when you check out Bodie. I tried to stop by on the way home from the DV rally and was surprised to find out they shut down for the winter. The gas station, store, deli, everything.

I get gas there and can dump my black and gray tanks for free(with gas purchase)...But gas cost you more. Same price as the 76 in lee Vining. Bridgeport has the higest gas along 395.

Just go inside and look at the menue and you will be wowed, you would never known by just passing by.

We also like to stop at the Virigina Creek Settlement on the left just north of the Bodie turn off for dinner. Always had a good meal there.

Second the great food at the Mobil Mart (actually located just off 120 / 395 Jct., just south of LV).
Also, there's good water spigots for at the base of Tioga Pass right on the side of 120 just up from the Mobile Mart
for tanking up.

Not only is the food and water good on 120, there are a number of Forest Service and county campgrounds off the road to the south. They are along the creek in the woods and are fine places to camp when the CGs up the hill near Tioga Pass are full. Check them out.

You run such a successful business as this you can close it down for the six month off season and all go to Mexico and surf.

Not only is the food and water good on 120, there are a number of Forest Service and county campgrounds off the road to the south. They are along the creek in the woods and are fine places to camp when the CGs up the hill near Tioga Pass are full. Check them out.

Stew's right, there are some great campgrounds up Lee Vining Canyon. A couple of years ago the county turned over the campgrounds to the Inyo National Forest and there are some really nice and needed improvements going on. I was down there for a field trip looking at the issues, facilities, and goals for the area. I was impressed. The Inyo National Forest is working hard on our behalf on the east side. I give them a thumbs up as a class act.

They closed Cattle guard and Moraine campgrounds last year as a test, they say. Wonder if they are going to re open?

We used to sleep in the trail head parking lot at Saddlebag Lake until the new person running the Forest Service was rattling people out of their vehicles and moving them on.

When it is the busy season all the campgrounds are full and having the 2 closed there does not help. There is no place to stealth camp up there.

They closed Cattle guard and Moraine campgrounds last year as a test, they say. Wonder if they are going to re open?

We used to sleep in the trail head parking lot at Saddlebag Lake until the new person running the Forest Service was rattling people out of their vehicles and moving them on.

When it is the busy season all the campgrounds are full and having the 2 closed there does not help. There is no place to stealth camp up there.

A "test", eh? This is not good to hear.

We used to camp to the east across 395 in the woods north or south of 120 on FS roads. There were some great places north near the beach on Mono Lake (need 4x4), or south behind Mono Craters, but I wonder if they are shutting that down these days, too.

Any word, PV?

If you are curious about changes and reasons, stop by the ranger station just up the Canyon. I believe they would be happy to help.

It is called Whoa Nellie Deli. I hit at least twice a year on motorcycle rides.

Link to there web site, well worth the trip.
http://www.whoanelliedeli.com/

Being a Chef myself I have to say the food is outstanding.
They also have a great beer and wine selection to match the food.

Overpriced perhaps, but not overrated. I mean, $20 is a lot of money for tacos anywhere you go. But MAN they're good.

They also have live music a few nights a month and they'll let you consume beer from the store on the premises and camp in the upper lot near the flagpole for free. It's a GREAT time. I agree the camping in LV canyon is a bit dicey and crowded, but the good news is it's not the only spot around. There has got to be more high quality, scenic, dispersed camping within driving proximity than anywhere else I can think of.

We used to camp to the east across 395 in the woods north or south of 120 on FS roads. There were some great places north near the beach on Mono Lake (need 4x4), or south behind Mono Craters, but I wonder if they are shutting that down these days, too.

In an early-May trip this year, while heading back north/home from the White Mts, I camped on the south side of Mono Lake, off 120 where it comes closest to the Lake by Mono Craters, and there were no signs prohibiting camping...at least, no signs on the minor (but numbered) FS road I was on.

To stay on topic, though...I haven't stopped at the Mobil Mart yet, but on this recent Sierra-east trip I met a local camping couple (Bishop residents), and they mentioned the Mobil Mart: the wife said "the food is wonderful!" and the husband said "too expensive!"...FWIW.

I stopped by there for lunch on the way to the XP rally. I was looking forward to it all morning and when I saw they had carnitas tacos (my favorite) life was looking good. That is until the food arrived. That was the worst carnitas and possibly the worst meal I have ever been served. Chunks of undercooked pork fat on luke warm store bought tortillas with runny black beans. Never again.

I stopped by there for lunch on the way to the XP rally. I was looking forward to it all morning and when I saw they had carnitas tacos (my favorite) life was looking good. That is until the food arrived. That was the worst carnitas and possibly the worst meal I have ever been served. Chunks of undercooked pork fat on luke warm store bought tortillas with runny black beans. Never again.

It was THAT bad, eh?

Gotta agree withh Camelracer on this one. First time I had lunch there was with a group. I had the chicken ceaser salad wrap. It was ok at best. Gave them a second try on a trip with my wife and neither of us were happy with the lunch. Third visit was for breakfast, ham and cheese on a croissant. Literally burned the ham black. I am yet to understand the hype. That said, most people rave about the fish tacos, so if I were with a group that wanted to go there, I'd try those. But overall, I think the place is over rated and wouldn't go back on my own.

wow I am surprised to hear that.
The few times i eat there the food was most outstanding.
That was a few years back though.
I did stop there last weekend but the line was too long so I didn't end up getting anything.

Back
Top Bottom