Modifying an MV-50 12V air compressor

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
Tried searching for this and didn't find much here. Can someone recommend a thread or video that explains how to improve an MV-50 12V air compressor. I've found a few on you-tube but necessarily trust the information found there. It would be helpful if someone here has done some mods and can vouch for them.

Thanks, jim

Jim, I several articles (Google search) on modifying the MV-50 before I bough mine a couple of years ago, and they made some sense. I took mine apart when I got it and found that some of the mods were already done at the factory. I put it back together as was and it has been fine ever sense. Decent output, doesn't overheat and is pretty quiet for what it is.

I have been shopping for a compressor and had heard about this one. I'm pretty sure Squatch had one. Anyone out there have a bad experience with one?
The Viair is pretty pricey !

Thanks

The only thing I did to mine is to replace the battery wires with heavier gauge wiring and made it longer so that I could easily reach all the tires.
I've used it twice so far and it had no issues filling up my 35" tires to up to 80 psi.

If anyone wants some heavier gauge wiring let me know as I had to buy more than I needed...free!

EDIT >>>>
This is not the compressor I have. I ended up buying this as it has more capacity..
Sorry.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200672535_200672535

I never thought the mods were worth the effort. I did however have to open mine up and reinstall the nuts they hadn't bothered to tighten at the factory. Worked fine ever since.

JaSAn said:
Tried searching for this and didn't find much here. Can someone recommend a thread or video that explains how to improve an MV-50 12V air compressor. I've found a few on you-tube but necessarily trust the information found there. It would be helpful if someone here has done some mods and can vouch for them.

Thanks, jim

Tried a google search. I turned up this and a few others:
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/131953-bfads-superflow-mv-50-air-compressor-build.html

Posted this over on ExPo also.

takesiteasy said:
Tried a google search. I turned up this and a few others:
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/131953-bfads-superflow-mv-50-air-compressor-build.html

Posted this over on ExPo also.
Thanks. I had seen that one and I bookmarked it as one of the better ones I found.

I was hoping to find someone that had done these modification and can vouch for their being worth doing. I see mention of modifying the MV-50 here and over at ExPo, but a paucity of information on what was actually modified and how well each modification worked.

Thanks again, jim

Anyone that doesn't have a compressor should pick one of those up. You can always upgrade later.

The only "upgrade" that I've done to mine has been to by-pass the switch and relay. They are now hard wired to come on when connected and go off when disconnected. Had a cold solder joint fail on one of the relay terminals once and I see no need to repeat that. Result is two less failure mode sources.

EDIT: Thanks for the link, I needed another one for the Blanc-Oh!

Back
Top Bottom