Mods need to an F250 4x2 for a camper trip thru the west

Jedgar

Hi guys! My job situation may soon present an opportunity to allow an extended trip thru the west and hopefully up to Alaska.

Trip would be an extended duration (~6 month) "tour" of the west, which neither I or my wife have ever seen. We would like to get off pavement at least a little bit, but don't want to get too extreme. Don't want to travel when it's real cold or in any snow or ice (we're Florida "crackers" and don't deal well with cold), so we would travel probably April thru maybe September. We recently came back from a 1 month campervan trip thru New Zealand and really enjoyed it so we would stay in the truck camper on this trip pretty much exclusively.

Don't currently have a camper but will probably go with a FourWheel Keystone (good used if we could find one or order new with options we want) or similar/equal.

The truck I currently have is a 2000 F250 Powerstroke (7.3), Xtra Cab, 8' bed, 4x2 (2 wheel drive), auto trans. Truck is basically stock and is in excellent shape, only mods are an AIS air filter and BTM muffler. The 4x2 is my dilema: do we need 4x4 -or- can I make a few mods to the truck that I have, to get it acceptable for the type of trip we're talking about ? I realize we couldn't travel on some of the more rugged out-back roads, but hopefully could get "off road" on most of the groomed dirt etc. roads.

Mods for limited "off road" that I would consider:
- Locking differential (like an ARB or Oxlocker, possibly a Detroit True-Trac)
- Front bumper with a good winch
- Tires (have pretty good/new 265s now, but could get a couple of bigger "spares" with off-road tread)
- ???

Other mods which I will do, even if truck was a 4x4, for this trip would be: gauges, a DP chip, trans cooler and filter, 4" exhaust, air compressor, good shocks (bilstein or monroe or ?), maybe air bags.

If I need a 4x4 truck, I'll have to find a used one as I don't think the newer diesels are "up to snuff" and don't want to tie up the money in a new truck just for this trip (especially since I'll be looking for a new job when we get back). I would want another 7.3 Powerstroke F250/F350 SRW and you guys know how tough it would be to find a good one that hasn't racked up a lot of miles and been beat to death. Would rather not go to a dually.

Thanks for your advice on this.

Once we get the truck issue sorted out, I'll be asking for advice on the camper set-up and options, equipment to take, and then suggested routes/spots/etc. to visit.

Man have come to the right place or what? You are about to get Way TMI starting with me.

OK my dos centavos;
You have maybe one of the best years for a Ford Diesel. You almost never need 4WD. Almost never. If you're careful you won't get into a spot where you need it. That limits where you go but it leaves tons of places you can go.

As much as I would love to have a locker I've never needed one. Ditto winch. They look cool and are very manly ARF ARF ARF.

Tires and shocks are a whole new bag of worms and I'm sure you will get plenty of opinions here. I run BFG AT's and Pro Comp 9000's.

I don't think any of us have a dually but I could be wrong, I often am.

There are lots of places in the west that don't have snow even in winter and I'm sure you're about to get chapter and verse on them.

Welcome aboard.

Welcome to the forum, Jedgar. Sounds like a heck of a road trip you have coming up.

I agree with Jay that you will still be able to go many places without 4WD. I live in CA and will never complete my list of places I want to visit and camp. With only six months and multiple states to see, you can keep the 4x2 and still go enough places to fill your time. Even though I have a 4x4, if I am in FWD it is because I'm someplace I shouldn't be and need it to get out. I would definitely go with a tire upgrade. I think there was a thread a year or two ago about what tires people prefer that you can read through. The shock upgrade is probably a good idea as well. Other than that, your rig should be good to go.

For limited off road you won't need much of anything except some quality tires. Good bumper could come in handy if you hit some hapless large creature - which we have a lot of out here.

Some basic suspension mods wouldn't hurt - airbags, upgraded shocks.

Camelracer has one mod that is the envy of everyone that has seen it - and engine mounted compressor. I'd trade a nut for that.

I have much the same truck, a 99 F250 8" with ext cab and 4x4. On the Colorado passes 4wd and low range is really great but if you avoid the real vertical and rough stuff you can go a long ways. I did Alaska last summer, actually May, and have put nearly 30,000 on the 7.3 this year. I did the DP chip, great addition. I only turn it back to stock where I need real soft throttle control but the power increase is very impressive and I got the most conservative boost, the 60hp. I have put on airbags, a front 2+ leveling kit, upgraded the shocks and new rear springs, the bigger airfilter, and am running Firestone 285's which were the #1 rated AT from Tire Rack, not real aggressive but 99% of the time I'm on pavement and they have taken my into and out of some rough stuff. I'm not going to invest anything else into it now, it works well and I don't mind if I scratch it up, etc.. In April you can start in the SW and work your way North saving the high country for later. Since you are an admitted Florida wuss just be sure you have a good heater and a few layers. In April you could still hit Death Valley and 200' below sea level and then in July hit Mt. Evans or Pikes Peak at over 14,000. And Alaska via the Canadian Rockies is awesome, I may head back in September if I don't end up going to Labrador.

You could probably skip the guages if you aren't towing anything. Always nice have though. Some kind of air compressor and tire repair kit. Doesn't have to be too fancy. Definitely want the factory heater.

You definitely can go a long ways offroad in 2wd. Only times I've needed 4wd so far are a couple times in the snow and once on a road I would have just skipped in 2wd. Shouldn't be a problem if you're cautious. Carry a high lift jack (I still don't have one for the truck /sigh) and maybe a come-along. Use common sense and turn around if it looks dicey and you'll have a great trip. I'm going to go out on a limb and say probably 90% of the dirt roads are fully passable in 2wd.

DD,

That's one hell of an offer but I'll have to pass.

Jedgar,

I agree that 4x4 is not necessary. 4x4 just means you get stuck farther from the road. There are plenty of places to go out here that don't require it.
One concern that I would have with a long wheelbase 2WD truck is the lack of ground clearance. A rock through the oil or tranny pan could ruin your day. I would suggest you look into a lift kit and some pan protection.

I'm not a "truck" guy so I'll leave all the gearhead stuff to the other guys...

Here in colorado you can find a zillion forest Roads that will get you off the beaten path (pavement) that >aren't< 4WD routes. (Tip: Get out and WALK those rocky trails and leave the (undestroyed) truck at the bottom of the hill)

As chnlisle said, there are places here that don't get much snow in the winter. then again....I've seen it snow in EVERY month on the calendar, so "never say never". Buy/bring a decent jacket (and get a heater in yer camper). Even in Summer we enjoy 40-50 degree mornings here....

ahhh.....sounds like a heat wave about now! good luck in yer prep/planning

mtn

You could probably skip the guages if you aren't towing anything. Always nice have though. Some kind of air compressor and tire repair kit. Doesn't have to be too fancy. Definitely want the factory heater.

You definitely can go a long ways offroad in 2wd. Only times I've needed 4wd so far are a couple times in the snow and once on a road I would have just skipped in 2wd. Shouldn't be a problem if you're cautious. Carry a high lift jack (I still don't have one for the truck /sigh) and maybe a come-along. Use common sense and turn around if it looks dicey and you'll have a great trip. I'm going to go out on a limb and say probably 90% of the dirt roads are fully passable in 2wd.

That is one thing I'd still like to add, the exhaust gas temp gauge, don't want to shut off a hot diesel. The High Lift or cheap versions is another item to always carry. Sometimes those crappy little oem bottle jacks won't have enough lift.
531458108_8F4Gz-S-1.jpg

Man you guys are awesome ! Had no idea I'd get this many replies so quick.

Sounds like I'll proceed with the "use the truck I have plan".

Any preference on the type/brand of lockers, airbags, sway bars, shocks that I should pursue ?

Locker: obviously the TrueTrak would be the cheapest and easiest to get set-up but maybe an ARB would be worth the extra money and rigging.

Shocks: I've heard the Bilsteins are stiff, but maybe that's what I need with the camper on the back.

Airbags: Firestones ? I have no clue on these.

Sway bars: Do I need them ? Probably pretty easy to put on and if they will really help noticeably with the handling, I'll spend the money.

Websites for searching for a good used FourWheel camper ? We want a nice, newer one - not an old beater.

That is one thing I'd still like to add, the exhaust gas temp gauge, don't want to shut off a hot diesel. The High Lift or cheap versions is another item to always carry. Sometimes those crappy little oem bottle jacks won't have enough lift.

Good point. A few seconds of idling is adequate around town. At the top of the grade getting out of town I need to idle a good five minutes. Hard to know that without a guage.
531458108_8F4Gz-S-1.jpg

If you have the money and its available, a selectable locker is the way to go. I have a detroit locker in the Jeep and I'd be very reluctant to anyone not familiar with it to drive it. You really know its there. A selectable, like the arb that you can turn on when you need it is much easier to live with.

531458108_8F4Gz-S-1.jpg

I have to agree that an EGT gauge for any turbo charged engine is good insurance. It's surprising how long it can take to cool down after climbing a long hill (or for that matter a mild short hill). Or you could spend big money on a post-shutdown oilier to keep the engine oil circulating and cooling.

For driving in the mountains (something we have plenty of here in the west), a transmission temperature gauge can't hurt, but for just carrying the camper probably isn't necessary. When it starts to get hot, downshift to decrease the load on the transmission and increase fluid circulation/cooling.

Welcome to the forum,

I'll throw my 2 cents in. I think the most important thing for your truck would be a lift as stated before. 2x4 has less clearance to begin with and your engine the 7.3 while being one of the best Ford's ever made it is also the heaviest. That is a big ass engine that causes the stock trucks to run nose down. Most people do at a minimum the 2 inch leveling kit that Barko did. A 4 inch kit wouldn't be bad either. It wouldn't be ridiculous big but would give you great ground clearance and piece of mind. A selectable ARB air locker and a lift combined with the native power and torque of your engine would make your truck damn near as competent as any of our 4x4's on all but the worst terrain and it sounds like you are not looking to take on "the worst terrain".

I say make those two mods and enjoy the reliability and piece of mind of a solid truck you know.

What's the best 2+ leveling kit for the F250 ?

Sounds like you guys are saying I don't need airbags for the rear. Wouldn't they allow me to "lift" and level the rear ? From what I read, they're not a big job to install.

Do I need a locker: I have been really disappointed with the stock ford "limited slip" diff that my truck is equipped with, having experienced a lot of single wheel spin pulling my big boat out and loosing traction in sand. My LSD is probably worn-out and not worth spending money to fix. Anybody have experience with the TrueTrac ? (is it noticeably better than the stock LSD).

Thanks for the advice.

You could do a search on the Tow Missle if you want to see what you really can do to an F250, in this case, a little more than air bags.

You could do a search on the Tow Missle if you want to see what you really can do to an F250, in this case, a little more than air bags.

Or Tow Missle Jr. :D :D :D

Sounds like you guys are saying I don't need airbags for the rear. Wouldn't they allow me to "lift" and level the rear ? From what I read, they're not a big job to install.

Thanks for the advice.

Airbags are good for both leveling and lifting and really aren't too much to install. I like having them.

Do I need a locker: I have been really disappointed with the stock ford "limited slip" diff that my truck is equipped with, having experienced a lot of single wheel spin pulling my big boat out and loosing traction in sand. My LSD is probably worn-out and not worth spending money to fix. Anybody have experience with the TrueTrac ? (is it noticeably better than the stock LSD).

Thanks for the advice.

The best will come from Icon Donahoe, these are the only parts I would put under an F250, they're under mine.

Back
Top Bottom