Mods to accomodate a pop-up on a Tundra

rock and roll

Advanced Member
I've recently acquired a 2003 Tundra TRD 4x4 and am driving this sucker down the Pan-American Highway. My question is what modifications will I need to safely mount and travel with a pop-up camper like the FWC Hawk? I'm thinking I will want:

• Heavy duty Bilstein shocks
  • Air bags on the rear leaf springs
  • Rubber mat for the bed
What do you think? Are these even necessary or am I missing other things?

Sounds like you are on the right track. Don't forget a quality set of tires and a matching spare. You could live w/o the rubber mat but it is still a good idea.

Sounds like you are on the right track. Don't forget a quality set of tires and a matching spare. You could live w/o the rubber mat but it is still a good idea.

Right now the truck has a fairly new set of Toyo Open Country H/T (P265/7-R16) with an unused BFG Rugged Trail spare. I like the H/T's (Highway Travel) for California roads but will want to upgrade for poor road conditions. Would you have any recommendations?

I've run BFG A/Ts for the last 10 years and was leaning toward those again (stock size) and keeping the BFG Long Trail as the backup.

Go with BFG AT without a doubt. But find a used BFG AT for your spare and get rid of the crappy Rugged Trail. You can usually get a decent used spare mounted for $30-$40, cheap insurance IMO. I've never needed to use mine but I like knowing it is there.

get rid of the crappy Rugged Trail

I agree....get rid of the Rugged Trail tire. The All Terrains are far superior.

I added custom Dever springs (10 leafs), HD Bilsteins and Firestone Air Bags to my Tundra before installing the Hawk.

I usually take a look at Tire Rack ratings in helping decide what to buy: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORAT

I'm not much of a mechanic but installed bags in an F150 and a F250, the 150 required drilling. Instructions were clear. As long as there are no lines (brake/fuel) that are in the way. Need a strong drill and a sharp bit.

I wouldn't do anything until I tried it and see what it needs. Cheaper that way and you haven't bought something you didn't need, with the exception of upgrading tires and wheels to LT and better shocks.

Tires are like trucks, we all have our personal preferences. I won't run anything but Toyo!! As far as shocks check out Rancho 9000x before you buy. They are very popular with truck campers as they are adjustable from no load to a heavy camper. Rides much nicer empty.

I do not like air bags but unfortunately they are a necessary evil on my truck. My Northstar is heavier on one side so I have to have the adjustability of the bags. And that is all they are designed for, leveling your loaded rig. If you want to add to the suspension to control sway then I suggest STEEL!!! I would go to a spring shop and have them increase or build a set of overloads with extended bump stops for the weight of the camper and will not affect empty ride!!! Roadmaster anti sway bar is another good choice.

If you do find you have to go with air bags make sure you plumb them separately!!! Hooked together they can actually increase sway!!!

I have a 2005 Tundra 4x4 TRD with Hawk. Added Air bags, easy to do the drill and install. Also added Helweg sway bar. The bags are needed to level out the weight. The sway bar works so well I should have added to the Tundra before I added the Hawk.

Bill in Stockton.

I just had Firestone Ride-Rite airbags installed on my 06 Tundra AC. It's TRD with 18" wheels.
The issue is that there's only a quarter inch clearance between the 'bags and the inside of the tire.
The installation specs call for 1/2" clearance. Is this ok?

I've just returned from our maiden voyage with the 08 Hawk camper on the back of the truck. We drove pot-holed
dirt for 5-10 miles and did some 4WD low in river cobbles. No problems, no rubbing.

I'm having my local camper shop (installer of 'bags) call Firestone on monday to see if we should shim out my wheels.
And yes, they had to drill the frame to do the install. Better them than me!

Andy

I just had Firestone Ride-Rite airbags installed on my 06 Tundra AC. It's TRD with 18" wheels.
The issue is that there's only a quarter inch clearance between the 'bags and the inside of the tire.
The installation specs call for 1/2" clearance. Is this ok?

I've just returned from our maiden voyage with the 08 Hawk camper on the back of the truck. We drove pot-holed
dirt for 5-10 miles and did some 4WD low in river cobbles. No problems, no rubbing.

I'm having my local camper shop (installer of 'bags) call Firestone on monday to see if we should shim out my wheels.
And yes, they had to drill the frame to do the install. Better them than me!

Andy

It's not OK if you ever need to use chains!! :(

Yikes! Good point about chains. I hadn't thought about that.

But since I've owned 4WD vehicles, going back to the early 90's, I've never had to put those suckers on.
And I live where it snows, sometimes a couple of feet, and like to go to Donner Summit when it's blizzard
conditions for the powder skiing.

So, I don't know if the chains are a deal breaker. I've looked closely and so far I see no rubbing.
Still I want Firestone's opinion on the install.

Andy

Good info Bill. I added the airbags, still experimenting with correct psi. I started at 40 psi, but the last two days I've tried 50 psi. Seems that the rear end sits a bit high, but a bit stiffer with less sway. I researched the Helwigs after reading your post and they sound like a good way to go. I found a great tutorial over on Tundrasolutions.com that explains the installation, but I'll still have a shop do the work. I don't have air wrenches, and my weekends are too valuable to spend wrenching on my rig!

Andy
Nevada City

I have a 2005 Tundra 4x4 TRD with Hawk. Added Air bags, easy to do the drill and install. Also added Helweg sway bar. The bags are needed to level out the weight. The sway bar works so well I should have added to the Tundra before I added the Hawk.

Bill in Stockton.

Back
Top Bottom