Mojave Preserve in Real Time - and Air Cards

Jack

Took this picture about 5min ago in the Mojave Preserve, about 10min south of Kelso, CA.

We got a Verizon air card a few months ago, after being inspired by Buzzman, who used one during his recent westward wandering. I like the idea of posting a trip in real time. I'll very soon see how real this can be as we travel the preserve.

The air card has worked out quite well, actually. In addition to allowing us to check email and do some work related research on the (dirt) road. We have also found it extremely useful for weather reports and when driving through large cities en route to said dirt roads. Going up the coast to Oregon from LA through San Francisco, the passenger has the laptop on lap and sigalert.com on the screen. It let us pick the optimal freeway route through the bay area. And in wintertime, weather reports are particularly helpful.

We did a good bit of research on coverage and concluded that Verizon and ATT have the best overall coverage. However, ATT is only worth considering for data service if you already have ATT cell service. We have T-Mobile for cell service and have used ATT pay-as-you go for coverage (which is how they do data service if you don't have cell service) in non T-Mobile areas and it is an extreme PitA. Verizon, on the other hand, is quite happy to set up a data only account. Sprint/Nextel seems to have the best data service but not nearly as good coverage.

Verizon data costs about $60/month (ATT is similar) for 5gb. I have yet to use more than 400mB. Beware, however, that it's $0.25/mB ($250g:cool: above the limit. A side note on Verizon: don't trust their usage summary, but check the usage log and tally the totals yourself. The log is accurate, the summary can be weeks behind. We purchased the air card online for about $125, so we were able to sign up with Verizon on a month to month basis (instead of a 2 year contract). Verizon also allows us to suspend the air card for up to 3 months without having to pay a startup fee.

So what has been the experience of other WtWers with internet access, (or, Buzzman, what's new)?

Attachments

• Granite Mt.jpg
    Granite Mt.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 431
Pretty damn cool. Although I must admit as I sit here typing this I can't help but feel just a little jealous knowing that you are grooving by a campfire somewhere in the Mojave. Have fun!

.. and a Yagi

Last night we were within normal cell tower range. Today, the nearest tower is 30mi to 40mi away. So I try the Yagi antenna with a Wilson amplifier and it works! - a 2 bar (-89dBm) signal. The Wilson amplifier works in the 800mHz to 900mHz and 1800mHz to 1900mHz bands, so it works for both data and voice.

We just got back from a short exploration up further into the canyon. The air is pleasant, the smells rich and the sights are awesome. It's very strange to now trade that for a compter screen. Well, this trip is test out the set up and see how viable it is. Our primary goal is to check email, weather and roads on our fun journeys. But we also do our best to get out of Dodge whenever we can and if we still have to work, we can at least do it way off the beaten path.

Attachments

• Caruthers Canyoun Rd End.jpg
    Caruthers Canyoun Rd End.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 349
  • Caruthers Canyon.jpg
    Caruthers Canyon.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 355
  • Yagi.jpg
    Yagi.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 347
  • Old Gas Pump.jpg
    Old Gas Pump.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 348
Last Day

Back to LA tomorrow. The Mojave Preserve is as good as or better than Joshua Tree - but without the people or restrictions.

Pictures: Restored Kelso UP Depot, Ode to Priapus, and Lava Tube

Attachments

• Kelso Depot2.jpg
    Kelso Depot2.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 309
  • Priapus Was Here.jpg
    Priapus Was Here.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 316
  • Lava Tube1.jpg
    Lava Tube1.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 309
we were just there! we camped at a stand of willow trees south of kelso dunes.
the preserve is better than joshua tree...the land of curbs, crowded campgrounds, and canned exhibits for motorized sightseeing.

got coordianates on that spot?

Back
Top Bottom