Mojave Preserve, Mojave Road

HERR42

We are planning to head down to the preserve Friday 3/18, hit the mad greek, then head down Cima road. I wanted to head east on the old mojave road (cedar cnyn rd) with the intention of seeing Death Valley mine, Rock Spring, Government Holes, the rock house, and then go into Carruthers Canyon...i understand that the joshua trees are pretty thick there.....densest forest in the world.

On the way out I was planning to double back west across kelso-cima road and go sign in at the mojave mailbox, see Marl springs, and then lava tubes once we get to Aiken Mine road. We could exit the area on Kelbaker road.

The intention is to get some good sightseeing, and be able sit outside the camper in reasonable evening temps!

we would get into the area Friday afternoon and head for home on monday.

i was expecting to be able to hit/hear the following repeaters while in the area.

147.88500 151.4 023 None High RODMAN
146.68500 146.2 023 None High KELLER PEAK
147.88500 146.2 023 None High LUDLOW
146.70000 146.2 023 None High NEWBERRY SPRINGS
169.75000 Simplex 146.2 023 None High FEDERAL PARK SVC

anyone go any good info for me? comment? going to be in the area?

Yep, those are certainly the densest Joshua Trees. I was there about 20 years ago with snow falling. The cow **** was so thick you could not avoid it with every step. Hopefully the welfare grazers have been given the boot since it became a "Preserve" but I'm not sure. I'd love to hear a cow poop report from your trip. That area, minus the cows would be fantastic!

Unfortunately the cow are still there. This is off a web site of the area;

The Mojave National Preserve is also home to many cattle, which can be seen along the roads. OX Cattle Ranch is located on the old town site of Maruba. The OX ranch was bought out by the Mojave National Preserve during 2000. The ranch was part of the original Rock Springs Land and Cattle Company operation, which was the largest operation in the area, extending over most of the eastern Mojave Desert during the early l900s.

This is the web site;
http://www.desertusa.com/mnp/mnp_main.html

Back
Top Bottom