Monitor Pass & Heenan Lake

Nice quick getaway. I see Ted is up to his high culinary standards!
Nice birding photos with the longer glass. Be careful, you might get addicted. ;)

Well, that looked like a nice time, complete with flowers.

BTW, when you get your 300mm, get the f2.8 version. See, it's costing you money already. Actually, the f4 version is really nice, and I believe Nikon is updating it.

I have to admit I'm having a hard time visualizing black pasta with yellow sauce but it's true that you can't put too much garlic in anything! Sounds like a fun time. Thanks for the report.

Hey ski3pin, go ahead and get the 2.8 with VR. Then I can borrow your lens instead. ;) Don't worry about having enough money left for food. We'll have a big garden this year so we can share.

Seriously, thanks for the kind words. I have used that lens more than you and still don't get those shots. Going to have to work on that. Maybe we can get back up there soon and film some eagle chicks.

Well you guys have gone to one of our favorite spots.
Last June when we were there the nest was empty. We have always enjoyed sitting in the canoe at the back end of the lake and watching the eagles in the nest.
Glad to see them back.
Heenen is such a special place.
I have spent over 30 seasons fishing that lake and have never been disappointed,in the fishing or the scenery.
Thanks for the report.
I need to get up there before summed hits,and again during the fishing time.
Frank

I would have thought that "Bumble Bee Pasta" would just be some spaghetti with a can of Bumble Bee tuna added. I'm glad to see camp food elevated. Nice TR.

craig333 said:
Hmmm, I think I think I know that spot. Never thought about kayaking Heenan. Not a bad idea.
Craig,the lake is closed to ALL except during the weekends of fishing in Sept and Oct.
You can walk around but don't touch the water.

It's a great lake to boat on during the "official" time.
Frank

Frank, thanks for answering that question. Heenan holds California's brood stock of native Lahontan Cutthroat Trout. The small building at the inlet is for collection of eggs during the spring spawn. The reservoir is open to catch & release (single barbless hook) fishing Friday, Saturdays, and Sundays only in September and October. This is the only time watercraft (non-motorized) are allowed. These are special trout and we appreciate the effort to protect them. And just FYI, during spawning most all the big trout are returned to Heenan but a few are moved to Sawmill Pond in South Lake Tahoe for the kids (Sawmill is kids only) and a few are moved to Red Lake and Caples.

fish more said:
I love catching those "Big Boys" in Heenan
While we were walking along the dam, one of those "big boys" jumped out of the water feeding on something. The splash was big enough to startle all four of us. You would have thought a large dog had just jumped in the water.

Over the years I have gotten into some "big boys". Back in the 90s I got a couple 32"ers. Now it
seems more like 18"/22" are the norm.Still a great time. Just sitting there and watching the scenery is a treat.
Electric motors are allowed but no gas.
When I first started fishing there I was one of the first to use a canoe.
Most of the fishers were in float tubes.It looked like an Orvis convention.
Here are a couple shots to get ready for this year at Heenan.
These fish can also be found below the lake in the East Carson,but are hard to get.
A word of caution fish above Hangman bridge can be kept below is all C&L.
Frank

Attachments

• markleeville oct 07 002.jpg
    markleeville oct 07 002.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 85
  • markleeville oct 07 005.jpg
    markleeville oct 07 005.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 91
Wandering Sagebrush said:
Nice fish Frank!

Are those hybrid cutt's? I've not seen Lahontan's quite that pale.
Some of the color is the light,but not all the fish there come out with the nice cutt color. Can't say if they are hybrid since it's really a closed system and all the fish are hatched there.
I have gotten some great color cutts but no pictures.
Frank

Funny ......... started looking at these pictures of just the backgrounds and realized I've camped there before. You got much better photos than I did. Guess I now know, ....... it's free of snow.

Thanks,

Rick
Reno, NV.

Back
Top Bottom