Monitor Pass - July 2012

That is it. We can't camp with the Ski3pins any more. Ski promised me there would be no more stories about me. The very idea that female athletes are charmed by some pot bellied, gray haired old fart like me is even funny to my wife.

Ted, when you recite poetry in front of ladies, I've heard they can swoon. :D
Sounds like a great trip. We remember Monitor Pass fondly too.

I'm glad to hear you are getting out and about and that the Lady is on the mend! I managed to bag my first 14er of the year last week. When are you guys planning on visiting CO again?

<snip> I managed to bag my first 14er of the year last week. When are you guys planning on visiting CO again?

Which one? :)

No plans right now but we've been getting a little pressure from Fastshot. He wants to start taking grand-kids up 14ers!

Getting the Lady on the mend. Trip report here.

Thanks for the nice report.Enjoyed the pictures,what great country.We usually see that area in the fall when the aspens are yellow and orange.Must be a hoot to spend time with the "Ted".
Frank

Sure brought back allot of memories of all those years I spent living in Tahoe and working out of Markleeville on the east side and Murphys on the west. Spent all my free time backpacking and exploring the area covered by 88/89 and 4-what great times those were. There used to be this Pizza place in Mville, with a wooden deck that was set over the creek; they used to play Italian Opera music over the speakers and don't even know if it is still there! Thanks again, maybe I'll get back sometime. That whole area, taught me one of the secrets of how to both backpack and work in that country-walk up hill in the mornings and walk down hill in the afternoons-simple, but saves allot of huffing and puffing when you least want to do it.

Smoke:LOL:

Nice report. Lots of memories for me concerning Monitor Pass. I have climbed it many times on my bicycle so I know it very intimately, at least the pavement. Hit 61 going into Markleeville, never so scared in my life.

Which one? :)

No plans right now but we've been getting a little pressure from Fastshot. He wants to start taking grand-kids up 14ers!

That be San Luis Peak, the 50th highest peak in CO, but still a 14er--14014 ft. They say it is the least frequently visited of CO's 14ers. A nearby mountain, Stewart Peak, used to be a 14er but is now the second highest 13er in CO. I've got it in my sights for obvious reasons.

Yep, I went on a few hikes with Fastshot last summer, but no big ones. A fit old guy he is!

Sure brought back allot of memories of all those years I spent living in Tahoe and working out of Markleeville on the east side and Murphys on the west. Spent all my free time backpacking and exploring the area covered by 88/89 and 4-what great times those were. There used to be this Pizza place in Mville, with a wooden deck that was set over the creek; they used to play Italian Opera music over the speakers and don't even know if it is still there! Thanks again, maybe I'll get back sometime. That whole area, taught me one of the secrets of how to both backpack and work in that country-walk up hill in the mornings and walk down hill in the afternoons-simple, but saves allot of huffing and puffing when you least want to do it.

Smoke:LOL:

Smoke don't know about the pizza place Mville has changed a bunch.The cutthroat salon was the place to go. Over the years I would fish the area in the fall. I think now it has changed names not sure,just went past there last summer.I remember all the bras and panties hanging from the ceiling. The food was good at the restaurant around back especially after a days fishing in the cold of the fall. We go to that area at least once a year sure is nice there. Ebbetts pass is one of the nicest for scenery IMO.
Frank

That be San Luis Peak, the 50th highest peak in CO, but still a 14er--14014 ft. They say it is the least frequently visited of CO's 14ers. A nearby mountain, Stewart Peak, used to be a 14er but is now the second highest 13er in CO. I've got it in my sights for obvious reasons.

Yep, I went on a few hikes with Fastshot last summer, but no big ones. A fit old guy he is!

I'm looking for Stewart Peak right now on my maps. Yup, ole Fastshot does pretty well. You'd never know he is 70. He was going to join us on a classic 8 day high Sierra backpack this summer including Whitney.............................but alas, the sudden need for knee surgery.

I'm looking for Stewart Peak right now on my maps. Yup, ole Fastshot does pretty well. You'd never know he is 70. He was going to join us on a classic 8 day high Sierra backpack this summer including Whitney.............................but alas, the sudden need for knee surgery.

Yes, it's good the Ladies knee is doing better.

Sad to hear you missed out on a hike up Whitney. Last time I was there was back in 2005 for maybe the 7th time and the 4th time by the trail. The first time I wandered up the trail was December of 1976. For some reason there was nobody except me on the summit that day.

That is it. We can't camp with the Ski3pins any more. Ski promised me there would be no more stories about me. The very idea that female athletes are charmed by some pot bellied, gray haired old fart like me is even funny to my wife.

You are too modest Ted. As I was watching you in your element, working your magic, I also noticed all the women were looking back for that last look. You still got it Ted, you still got it and your Mrs. knows it. Not only a gentleman but a lucky man!

Ted, when you recite poetry in front of ladies, I've heard they can swoon. :D
Sounds like a great trip. We remember Monitor Pass fondly too.

:)

Smoke don't know about the pizza place Mville has changed a bunch.The cutthroat salon was the place to go. Over the years I would fish the area in the fall. I think now it has changed names not sure,just went past there last summer.I remember all the bras and panties hanging from the ceiling. The food was good at the restaurant around back especially after a days fishing in the cold of the fall. We go to that area at least once a year sure is nice there. Ebbetts pass is one of the nicest for scenery IMO.
Frank

The Cutthroat Saloon is now Wolf Creek. Haven't been inside since the change so can't add further information. Frank, you'll have to check it out for us.

The Cutthroat Saloon is now Wolf Creek. Haven't been inside since the change so can't add further information. Frank, you'll have to check it out for us.

No problem.That is quite an interesting place.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom