Montana 2010

oly884

Advanced Member
Hey guys, it's been a long time since I've posted here, but I'm finally getting a good trip together so I can use my camper!

Since leaving Bozeman in April of 2008 and moving to the Seattle area, life has been a bit crazy. Aside from a few weekend trips, I've only used my camper a handful of times, I know, I know, shame on me.

However, I'm heading back to Bozeman at the end of the month to meet up with a buddy and spend a few days there, then we're taking off from there and heading up to Whitefish, Montana to go visit Glacier National Park, and the national forests in the area for a week and a half of camping, then finishing my trip up in Chelan, WA.

Aside from a few select stops, the trip is really going to be up in the air. With so much national forest land in the area, I think we're just going to get out and find a few good places to camp, hike, etc. We're planning on spending maybe 2 days in the park, a day or two at camp sites on the lake, and then getting out to some of the more remote areas.

If anyone knows some of the more remote areas to camp in the national forests that would be great to hear from you!

I very much like Bowman Lake CG, about 35 mi north of the Apgar Village section of Glacier. It's part of the park but a very rough 6 mile road in (figure ~ 30 min) keeps the number of people down. If you're up there be sure and stop at the Polebridge Bakery. I posted some pix of Bowman and Cutbank Creek last fall, can't remember under which heading.

I very much like Bowman Lake CG, about 35 mi north of the Apgar Village section of Glacier. It's part of the park but a very rough 6 mile road in (figure ~ 30 min) keeps the number of people down. If you're up there be sure and stop at the Polebridge Bakery. I posted some pix of Bowman and Cutbank Creek last fall, can't remember under which heading.

Polebridge and Bowman Lake CG are already on the list! It's exactly what I'm looking for, though I would like to find similar areas (in general, remote) in the national forests. I like the park, but it'd be nice to get out to some more of the lower-traveled areas of NW Montana! Saw the pictures, man I sure do miss the area, can't wait to get back!

Oly- I doubt you'll find many people around Bowman. There is also a loop around Hungry Horse reservoir that's very nice, mostly dirt but better than Bowman Road. The farther you get back in, the less the people especially during the week.

I've not been there but there are campgrounds past Polebridge towards the Canadian border.

One of my favorite areas is the Kootenai area in BC around Nakusp.

We were at Bowman last september it was nice.We went over labor day weekend wasn't very crowded .The road isn't that bad a lot of dust. Take the outside road from the park to polebridge saves some time and not as much dirt. Nice place,quiet and some good fishing at granite lake about an hour walk good trail. Frank

Oly- I doubt you'll find many people around Bowman. There is also a loop around Hungry Horse reservoir that's very nice, mostly dirt but better than Bowman Road. The farther you get back in, the less the people especially during the week.

I've not been there but there are campgrounds past Polebridge towards the Canadian border.

One of my favorite areas is the Kootenai area in BC around Nakusp.

Excellent, Hungry Horse is now on the list!

I figure my time in the park is going to be limited to 1 day/night, and then get out to some even more remote areas. I'll post up some pictures soon as I start to get things ready!

We were at Bowman last september it was nice.We went over labor day weekend wasn't very crowded .The road isn't that bad a lot of dust. Take the outside road from the park to polebridge saves some time and not as much dirt. Nice place,quiet and some good fishing at granite lake about an hour walk good trail. Frank

Excellent, thanks for the heads up!

Excellent, thanks for the heads up!

I miss spoke. The name of the lake in the bowman area is quartz lake,upper and lower. The lower lake is a nice walk of about an hour.The trail is up hill from the bowman campground,about a 1/3 of the way than down hill to lower quartz lake. The river out of quartz lake has some nice fish. Hope you have a good time there.The area is beautiful,the lake at sunset can be quite nice,look east toward the back of the lake the setting sun will shine on the peaks there. Frank

DSCN2236.jpgI miss spoke. The name of the lake in the bowman area is quartz lake,upper and lower. The lower lake is a nice walk of about an hour.The trail is up hill from the bowman campground,about a 1/3 of the way than down hill to lower quartz lake. The river out of quartz lake has some nice fish. Hope you have a good time there.The area is beautiful,the lake at sunset can be quite nice,look east toward the back of the lake the setting sun will shine on the peaks there. Frank

ps Bowman Lake 5 sept 09

Attachments

• DSCN2232.jpg
    DSCN2232.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 112
View attachment 8701

ps Bowman Lake 5 sept 09

You're making me want to leave now.... and I have 2 weeks from about this exact time, that I'll be hitting the road (hopefully)!

Back
Top Bottom