Montana - Smith River, Blackfoot River and the Road Home

The Stanley area is one of my favorite areas since the 1970's. There is sooooo much to do and see there. Lakes, rivers and mountains obviously. Also hot springs, primitive camping galore, mining history and spectacular scenery and hiking. Thanks for the reminder. We are hoping to get out there again when this pandemic subsides a bit.

AWG_Pics said:
The Stanley area is one of my favorite areas since the 1970's. There is sooooo much to do and see there. Lakes, rivers and mountains obviously. Also hot springs, primitive camping galore, mining history and spectacular scenery and hiking. Thanks for the reminder. We are hoping to get out there again when this pandemic subsides a bit.
Yes I'd wait until fall or possibly next year. The amount of people on the Salmon below town, and number of people in town when we went through was astounding. And it wasn't peak season quite yet.

Thanks for the trip report.
Beautiful country. It's been about 10 years since we have been in that area.
Drove the scenic hwy from US 93 west along the Salmon.
Even camped along the river in one of the small sites.
Frank

Spent a lot of years fishing and boating the Blackfooot and North Fork - as well as hunting, logging, fighting fires and general carousing. Great country.

Taku said:
Spent a lot of years fishing and boating the Blackfooot and North Fork - as well as hunting, logging, fighting fires and general carousing. Great country.
I remember the old Stockman's bar in Missoula from back in the 1970's. If I recall, there was a liquor store in the front and a card game in the back, if you know what I mean.

AWG_Pics said:
I remember the old Stockman's bar in Missoula from back in the 1970's. If I recall, there was a liquor store in the front and a card game in the back, if you know what I mean.
Certain forms of poker are considered to be games of skill rather than games of chance under Montana law and are thus allowed to be played, and wagers laid, under controlled circumstances, in Montana bars. One of the controls is that the games must be played in a separate room from the main barroom. In many bars, this means the poker room is behind the bar from the barroom.

So Stockman's Bar in downtown Missoula, Montana has for at least the 42 years since I first darkened the door in 1978 used the slogan: Stockman's Bar: Liquor up front, poker in the rear.

Just an humble reporter of facts here, ladies and gents. At least facts as certain beer-soaked U of M geology students explained to me back in 1978.

Foy, a reformed geologist who's been there, done that, and still has the tattered and threadbare T-shirt from Stockman's Bar.

And it is completely remiss on my part to have failed to have thanked Occidental, first and foremost, for another fine trip report from parts of Montana and Idaho which I've never seen, but one day will!

Kudos, Sir.

Foy said:
So Stockman's Bar in downtown Missoula, Montana has for at least the 42 years since I first darkened the door in 1978 used the slogan: Stockman's Bar: Liquor up front, poker in the rear.
Bullseye in one! Foy for the win!

As I recall they made some mean Kamikazies as well. Followed by a beer chaser, they had an undeniable effect!

Excellent trip reports, and great luck getting on a smith river permit. years ago i called a fishing friend in walla walla, to get some fishing intel, and he drops the question - 'hey, would you want to get in on our middle fork permit this year'?? duh ! i said for sure, and asked if they had room for 1 more. they did. called my old army bud out on the east coast, and said he had to go. we had a great time.. we brought elk steaks for our stint at cooking dinner.
go

Wow-nice TR, nice country, never been in that part of the world, so glad you took us there. Rafting, fishing, even bears, but the golf course, don't know about that :p ! Again Thanks for taking us along!

Smoke

Thanks all for taking a look and leaving a comment. Yes, I'm no golfer, I may have played one round since our last Smith in 2018, but it's a nice spot for an out of the ordinary break anyhow. If you are on the river at least stop for a home made ice cream sandwich.

Back
Top Bottom