Montana wildflowers

searching for nowhere

I made a quick trip to Montana to see the wildflowers. The trip was planned before I made the decision to retire this spring, hence a quick short trip was what I thought I needed. I decided to stay at forest service cabins and not pull the trailer. Yes, a pop-up camper would have been nice. :)

Enjoy at this link

Thanks for the tour! I'm now adding the Gravelly Range Road to my list of future must-dos.
Rico.

Thanks for sharing. We spent a night in Vipond Park in Sept. 2016, camping amongst the lodgepole Pines. We came up the single gravel road after stopping to view the charcoal kilns. We exited down through Dewey along the Wise River. Well known for the spring wildflowers. The Big Hole National Battlefield was close and on the way to Hwy 93 and the Bitterroot Valley. Thanks for sharing. jd

Ahhhhh, just ahhhhhhh. Love me some Vipond Park, Canyon Creek cabin, Gravelly Range, and Lemhi Pass!

In 2000 we did a fly-n-drive to and from Missoula. Two nights at Canyon Creek cabin were included. Our sons, then 17 and 13, went fairly bonkers over the mice/hantavirus warnings. To my shame I had not then had them afield enough to "get it" so their overall reactions were predictable. But they did enjoy bombing the outhouse with pebbles while their Mom was engaged in some backwoods R&R. At that time I was shamefully ignorant of Vipond Park and did not visit it until 2010. For our 40th anniversary in September 2018 we did a drive-through on the day of our arrival while enroute to Philipsburg and it was splendid as always. We also then did our first traverse of the awesome Gravelly Range Road.

Shame you couldn't spend more time along the GRR but good to know your canine friend is OK.

Thanks for the post!

Foy

I was shamefully ignorant of Vipond Park last year. I just saw a road on the map that would connect the Quartz Hill mining area with the charcoal kilns. I was surprised to find the meadow. Now I'm an ambassador for the area, telling all I know what a great place it is. And not overwhelmed with people. On a Monday I saw three cars. By comparison, the GRR was packed with people, I saw about 10 vehicles driving to the cabin.

Back
Top Bottom