Montana

Nice! Great pics of Belt outcrops and very nice pics of Belt stromatolites!

If you haven't already done so, I recommend picking up a copy of the just-updated "Roadside Geology of Montana", by Rob Thomas and David Alt. First update in +40 years, and it's really a gem.

Enjoy autumn in Montana!

Foy

Thanks for the tip on the updated Roadside Geology of Montana. I have the original one with me. When I read it, I wonder if some interpretations have changed. And I hope they added more roads.

searching for nowhere said:
Thanks for the tip on the updated Roadside Geology of Montana. I have the original one with me. When I read it, I wonder if some interpretations have changed. And I hope they added more roads.
I also have the original but I must admit I haven't even thought of a side-by-side comparison. But I can tell you the new one is 412 pages of text, full color maps, and good quality color photos. There are dozens of pages of indices and glossaries.

As to interpretations, there must be extensive revisions because of the much improved understanding of plate tectonics which has developed over the last 40-50 years. Again, I haven't compared, but given where the science was in the 1970s vs today, lots and lots of the cool stuff in the new book has to be, well, new.

Foy

Beautiful shot of Lake McDonald!! My wife and I were going to go to Glacier and Waterton at this time but decided against it thinking it would be too crowded and not knowing if we could cross the border. I've read that some folks are crossing the border for "essential travel" but are clearly not wanted. Nice to just wander around with lots of flexibility to explore. Keep posting pics!!

Back
Top Bottom