More Wandering in Nevada

Wow I dig it! I'm really gonna have to get up there to Ophir STAT! I've thought for a while that the Austin area would be good for a rally.

I have been to Fish Lake Hot springs once and had the same experience... Loud music lots of motorcycles/ATV's and downright partying....don't get me wrong I don't mind have a few beers...or even a few to many beers... but its the noise and the in your face attitude that turns me off.

Cort

Thanks for the report from central NV. You've been out in some of my favorite old haunts! Arc Dome and Mt Jefferson make good hikes if you haven't done them yet.

Looks like you guys had a great trip. We love exploring the old historical sites. Adding this to our Nevada list.

Another excellent adventure. Enjoyed the remoteness of it all. And the Lady is right, the Black Buttes do resemble the Alabama Hills.

SKI3,

Looks like we like the same tanks and alot of the same places. Haven't made it too far up Ophir though looks like we'll have to get up in there. Great report.

SKI3,

Looks like we like the same tanks and alot of the same places. Haven't made it too far up Ophir though looks like we'll have to get up in there. Great report.

And, we still manage to keep a few secrets! :)

So much to explore! And our most favorite spots are little further east........

Thanks for the report from central NV. You've been out in some of my favorite old haunts! Arc Dome and Mt Jefferson make good hikes if you haven't done them yet.

Stew, thanks for the tips!

I'm a native trout, wilderness fly fisher (C&R of course) so I'm also searching out little known native cutthroat fisheries in the Great Basin. And, many times just finding and seeing them is more than enough reward.

Turning out our big summer trip will be to Colorado. The Lady wants to knock off a few more 14tners before and after an 8 day backpack. Still researching a Wilderness destination. I need big, hard to catch, wild trout. The Lady needs peaks. You or anyone else have secrets to share? PM works. Past trips in Colorado have been into the Flattops, Sangre de Cristos, and the former Big Blue Wilderness areas.

Stew, thanks for the tips!

I'm a native trout, wilderness fly fisher (C&R of course) so I'm also searching out little known native cutthroat fisheries in the Great Basin. And, many times just finding and seeing them is more than enough reward.

Turning out our big summer trip will be to Colorado. The Lady wants to knock off a few more 14tners before and after an 8 day backpack. Still researching a Wilderness destination. I need big, hard to catch, wild trout. The Lady needs peaks. You or anyone else have secrets to share? PM works. Past trips in Colorado have been into the Flattops, Sangre de Cristos, and the former Big Blue Wilderness areas.

Ski,

Since I've only been in CO for a year and a half, I can't be of much help. If you'd asked about CA's 14ers, I might be of some use. I'm sure you-all know more about the mountains of CO than I do! Sorry.

For when are you planning your trip?

Stew

Another excellent adventure. Enjoyed the remoteness of it all. And the Lady is right, the Black Buttes do resemble the Alabama Hills.

And that remoteness is such a treasure. Even in the short length of our lives to date, the west has changed so much. Problem is, when change comes every place just starts looking like every other place. Sad.

We do find ourselves more and more drawn to the remote places of solitude.

We trust you guys here.

For when are you planning your trip?

Stew, the last two weeks in July into the first week of August. The trip will have a bit of everything, exploring along our route, family joining in on some CO adventures (brother lives in Colorado Springs), 14ers, backpacking, and flyfishing. Currently researching Mt. Zirkel Wilderness and the reintroduction of Greenback Cutthroat. The Lady has a stack of guidebooks here on the table........

Back
Top Bottom