Mosquitos

dennis 221

Do any off you spray around camper door to keep or slow mosquitoes from enter camper?? If so what product???

So can you turn that unit off after staring? Like you light it at 7pm an go inside be at 9pm can you turn it off or once you start it does it run until empty???

yes, you can turn it off, and restart often. The pad changes color as it is depleted, so you can tell if you need a new one.

On this topic if tangentially...

Has anyone got an image of mosquito screens for the turnbuckle doors ?

A former member was making and marketing them although I believe his had the older sliding doors.

I would be interested to see what others have done....

Traveling east in the fall and it is BUGGY ( 00 )

DG

we just cut a roll of screen an Velcro to each door opening!! works ok

So you put the fuzzy portion on the cabinet and the grippy on the screen ?

Metal screening or fabric ?

Any sort of pull tab ?

Many thanks

David Graves

We just returned from the north side of Indian Heaven Wilderness on the west side of Mt Adams. Those of you that have been there know it is infested everywhere in that area with mosquitos and biting flies. We stocked up on various anti-skeeter remedies, including the Thermocell that Sage recommended. Last evening we sat outside with the Thermocell and were unmolested by any insects. This morning I made coffee outside, as usual, and after the thermocell warmed up all the skeeters & flies disappeared. I am convinced it works. As a test, my lovely wife had no other repellant on as we sipped our coffee and enjoyed the view, with the device in between us. No critter bites, only the occasional approach, then veering away. She is also convinced.

Please be aware that the active ingredient in this is a pyrethrin type material, d-allethrin. Relatively safe for you, although not recommended for indoor use, but HIGHLY toxic to fish and aquatic insects of all types in minute doses. Based on how these work, heating up and dispersing a cloud of epa registered pesticide, using near any open water is a very bad and irresponsible practice. Please be responsible. It would be the equivalent of spraying down your clothes with pyrethrin right next to a creek or pond. The reason this stuff repels is because it is toxic to the insects.

The mfg of this product really does not spell this out anywhere in their information except on the MSDS. http://www.epestsupply.com/images/Products/labels/ThermaCELLPatioLanternMsds.pdf

http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/pyrethrins.html

Yes it is hazardous if used irresponsibly. We also spray a set of clothes each with pyrethrin, but make sure our cats are nowhere nearby until it dries. Cats are particularly sensitive and could be harmed when pyrethrin is still in liquid form. I would like to think people read labels and act accordingly, but some don't I am sure.

By the way, thermacell does not emit clouds of pesticide. In very calm conditions, with good light, it is just barely possible to see some vapors. 15 feet is the range for keeping mosquitos at bay. Occasionally they do approach but don't linger to set down and drill into your skin.

I get that it is not a “cloud” per se, but it is an area of vaporized, therefore still wet, material about 15 feet in diameter. My point was just to make people aware that it is a potential source of contamination in aquatic settings. Always a balance. As mentioned above, I did not see any warning in the IFU for thermocell.

Also uncomfortable with the throw away heat element .... being from a buggy area there is a better way. Low impact less stuff.

AWG_Pics said:
Yes it is hazardous if used irresponsibly. We also spray a set of clothes each with pyrethrin, but make sure our cats are nowhere nearby until it dries. Cats are particularly sensitive and could be harmed when pyrethrin is still in liquid form. I would like to think people read labels and act accordingly, but some don't I am sure.

By the way, thermacell does not emit clouds of pesticide. In very calm conditions, with good light, it is just barely possible to see some vapors. 15 feet is the range for keeping mosquitos at bay. Occasionally they do approach but don't linger to set down and drill into your skin.
It also works pretty good on sweat bees; several years ago camped by a lake that was loaded with them! They really gave my old border collie Bob hard time. Tried all my usual tricks to keep them out of my camp area w/o killing them, but when they do their every so many years swarm and make camping and especially eating outside impossible sometimes ya have too---but they learned and after a few days they kept out of the kill zone.

Smoke

buckland said:
Also uncomfortable with the throw away heat element .... being from a buggy area there is a better way. Low impact less stuff.
That's true of the models designed to be carried. I used the bigger "base camp" module that goes onto an isobutane canister that I would normally use for a backpacking stove. Still using the same small canister I started using with the Thermacell 2 years ago!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom