Mounting Engel fridge in the truck cab?

Bread

Advanced Member
I've been toying with the idea of mounting my Engel fridge behind the seat in my Tacoma access cab. I have a Fleet shell.

Pros- Easier access to the fridge (lid only opens part way when top is down where I have it mounted on top of propane cabinet in the camper)
-Leaves more room in the camper for storage.

Cons- It's probably hotter in the truck cab when sitting parked.
- Have to run wiring to the aux battery in the camper.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with having the fridge in the cab? Any ideas for running power from aux battery into the cab? Thanks.

Bread said:
Anyone have any thoughts or experience with having the fridge in the cab? Any ideas for running power from aux battery into the cab? Thanks.

I have been doing just that.
I have a Truckfridge and keep it in the rear seat on my Tundra AC,along with storage drawers.
Works great. I just ran a cigarette lighter style plug that's fused from the camper battery. The wiring was pretty simple,just make sure you have a fuse on the plus side(mine is in the battery box area) and protect the wires when they run through any body holes,so they don't short out.
No problem with any heat in the cab. And it's very quiet.
When you run the wires from the camper make sure you add disconnect plugs so when or if you remove the camper you can just unplug it from the truck.
Frank

What year do you have? I have a 2009 but found a guy who parted out what was left of his totaled 2008 access cab. I bought his back seats etc and put my fridge behind the drivers seat. Haven't wired it up to my 2nd battery yet.

Me too. I ran fused power from my camper battery through a cabin air exhaust vent behind the rear seat of my 2011 F-250 SuperCab. I can also plug it into the dashboard power outlet when driving. Just be careful to keep the vents on the fridge clear for good air circulation.

We have an Engel MT35 that fits perfectly under the rollover couch seat on our Hawk, inside the cabinet base. But the wife was always jamming it very full of stuff, and because of limited door access, it's a bit tricky to get stuff in and out of. This last trip we saw a small Engel MD14 Fridge-Freezer on sale at a sporting goods store in Kalispell, MT marked down to $399. We bought it, put it behind the passenger seat in the truck cab (F-150 extended cab) and are now super-pleased with the extra capacity. We can now have cold drinks or snacks up front without a cooler, we left it on night after night with no ill effects on the truck battery, and it was great for getting just a little more capacity with cold foods and beverages.

Plus I told the wife she can put it in her car and crank it down to max cold (freezer) setting when we go watch the grandson play baseball in the hot humid Missouri summers, fill it with Popsickles (and a few brewskies for Dad) and be the most popular g'ma in the ballpark.

https://www.engel-usa.com/products/fridge-freezers/engel-md14-dc-fridge-freezer

Back
Top Bottom