mounting my Mag flashlight in Hawk

GPAY

Advanced Member
Love my new Hawk shell (2 weeks) and want to mount my Maglight flashlight inside to the left of the door.
That requires drilling 4 holes to put the mounting bracket screws in. Can anyone tell me if it's safe to do that? Will I hit the aluminum frame or just empty space? How long can the screws be? Any direction would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

I've added numerous mounting brackets to my Hawk. You are safest just removing the existing screws and reusing them or a slightly longer one. I believe FWC uses 1" x 1" aluminum tubing so that is your margin of error.

Denny tells me FWC has hired a CAD person who is developing drawings of exactly where their structural members are in each model. I am hoping to score a copy for my new Hawk Flatbed. Enjoy your hawk- we have loved our 2012 model.

Steve

PS You might also consider mounting your flashlight to the composite lift panel. We have done this with small carriage bolts and facing the threaded bolt and nut outwards. Works great.

I mounted mine in the plywood just below and aft of the vent for the converter. It's out of the traffic pattern, but still easy to grab. I have a Grandby, so you might not have that space in your Hawk.

Thank you for the good advice. There is a blog post from Two Happy Campers aand I can see they have the same setup as me but a slightly older Hawk shell. He mountd it just where I would preferably do the same, I'm just a bit afraid to drill holes and give it a go.
aDoes anyone ever use wall anchoes if all you hit is insulation?

GPAY said:
Does anyone ever use wall anchors if all you hit is insulation?
Given 1) the rough roads we all drive on and 2) the thin walls FWC uses and 3) the weight of a Mag Light I wouldn't mount it with an anchor only. I'm just sayin...

Back
Top Bottom