Mounting Options

brett13

Lovecock
More specifically, how do you mount things like a shovel on the back of your camper? I'd like something sturdy, without rattles, but easy to get the gear off. Maybe a way to secure it from theft too, but that is a secondary consideration.

I don't even know what such mounts are called to go looking. Any help appreciated. Happy New Year everyone!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 605
Ditto. Quick Fists work Great.

marc

Marc- is that a highlift behind the shovel? Can the quickfists really hold that much weight safely? (I ordered some from Cabelas).

Also, I know this has been answered many times, but hey, what's once more? What is the best way to attach the quick fists to the back? They appear to have holes about 3-4" apart, which is too narrow to fit across two studs and too wide for just one, right?

And the best way to find the aluminum studs? Best screw? Or are you goind all the way through the wall? Thanks again.

brett

The shovel is mounted to to my high-lift using 4 fist clamps screwed together. The lift itself is held in place via a set of high-lift brackets that are through bolted to the campers frame. When I had my Cougar built, I had Ben and the boys build up the back wall to hold the weight of the high-lift'

marc

Thanks Marc. I seem to remember you detailing that setup before. I suppose I could mount the high lift the same way, but rest the base on the bumper to reduce the stress on the camper. I wonder if that would be ok?

Huh....

Thanks Marc. I seem to remember you detailing that setup before. I suppose I could mount the high lift the same way, but rest the base on the bumper to reduce the stress on the camper. I wonder if that would be ok?

I'm considering mounting the jack base to the bumper--essentially as you are suggesting, but without attaching to the camper. I haven't decided what I want to do.

SB

Quick Fist shovel mount

Here is how I mount mine. The cable provides security for the water can holder and shovel.

Attachments

• Baja 2009 002 02.jpg
    Baja 2009 002 02.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 393
Here is how I mount mine. The cable provides security for the water can holder and shovel.

Dsrtrat, your setup looks very entertaining. Have you posted how you mounted your AT rack, if so I've missed it, if not would you mind posting how you mounted...and with additional pictures. Thanks!

I have the high lift brackets thru bolted on my back wall & rest the base of the jack on the bumper - mainly because I have the 5' version of high lift & that keeps the top just below the camper when the camper top is down. It's probably ridden that way 65k to 75k miles with no problems & those include many trails that twist the truck fairly well - something I worried about at first. At least on my truck almost all of the frame flex seems to be concentrated in the center between the cab & bed. I suppose if I ever caught the bumper coming off a ledge it could drive the jack up & damage the camper at the bracket mounting points but the tail on my F350 sits high enough that it hasn't happened yet.
Doug

many trails that twist the truck fairly well - something I worried about at first. At least on my truck almost all of the frame flex seems to be concentrated in the center between the cab & bed. Doug

An F350 twists? I thought those things were so stiff they hardly flexed/twisted at all.

An F350 twists? I thought those things were so stiff they hardly flexed/twisted at all.

It's only the suspension That doesn't flex,LOL. Actually my truck loaded weighs almost 10K Lbs so yes it does flex pretty well.
Doug

Back
Top Bottom