Mounting Recovery boards

Thx again for the advice. Building it next week. Just saw you’re also from Bend. We’ve been here 27 years. Still love it - but, wow, has it grown. More need, than ever, for a camper - ha!

I figured I would give the Go Treads a try. I have already used them as leveling blocks so I "mounted" them next to my legos.

Attachments

• IMG_1612.jpg
    IMG_1612.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 119
adamxcl said:
So I have 4 of them. I usually have them vertical on the back but can also mount on Toyota roof just ahead of the camper. Downside is they are up higher. Positive side if I put them there is they create a wind shield for that gap. Whenever I have something there blocking that gap, my mileage is better.
Would you be able to share photos of the cab top mounting solutions for your setup? I have been thinking about adding a cab top Thule rack for this purpose, but the cost seems excessive.

I’ve had mine on the roof of the camper for a few years. They are looking faded. I wonder if they would shatter from UV degradation if I ever tried to actually use them?

That is funny Vic I looked out the second floor window the other day and indeed the Trax are now a pale shade of grey. I might take them down and run over them a few times to see how they handle it...hate to be stuck and then have them crumble when used.

I contacted MaxTrax before I mounted them on the roof and they said that'd be fine, no uv issues. So far mine look okay. Haven't used them recently though.

Granted mine have been up 2 years... but in the Northeast. so probably half the UV of Southwest.I will have them off and a drive over in the next week and will report back. My camper truck comes in around 6900 pounds for one variable.

I keep 4 locked on the back of my Hawk on some homemade Aluminum extruded rails, locked.

I carry 4, always mounted on back of camper. Used them a few weeks back on Smoky MTN Road, Escalante to Big Water. Storms blew a 25 foot wide hole in the road. Had to use them and two more to get out, plus a snatch recovery and three hours of road building.
I have started using them for leveling, tired of rocks.
I would avoid putting them where they are hard to get to, might cause an unwise choice.
Two Cents
w

I am looking for creative methods to affix the recovery boards to the top of the truck cabin. it seems this location would be easily accessible, and potentially also serve a wind deflector at highway speeds.

To screw the aluminum, did you puncture the roof of the camper? I’d love to do this exact mount but paranoid about that.
CraggyMan said:
This was pretty simple - 1.5"x1.5"x1/4" aluminum angle. Drilled for the layout of the Yakima tracks.
Excuse the finger in the closeup -
Easy enough to reach from the rear door.

Hookersandpopcorn said:
To screw the aluminum, did you puncture the roof of the camper? I’d love to do this exact mount but paranoid about that.
No, the bolts I used were just long enough to pull tight with the nuts inside the Yakima tracks. I used lock washers on the bolts. I did purchase a couple of varying lengths of bolts and played around to figure which length worked best as I too was worried about using too long of a bolt. Hopefully that makes sense... :unsure:

Have had the Go Treads for a few years. work very well as levelers and have used them on another persons rig in snow to get them out. worked fine for that. I did have concerns about the flexibility as opposed to the solid nature of the other boards but at least in this one instance in soft snow they performed as needed. They fold up nicely and while they do take up room in the cab area, I like having dual purpose items.

I purchased Go Treads in August of 2022, and they work great. They have proven themselves for me in sand, mud and snow. 0 complaints. When I was a young man, I liked the look of all the cool stuff mounted to my truck. Nowadays, I go for a much less "hey look at me, I'm an Overlander! " look. The fact they stow away easily in the camper is a big plus for me. No UV damage, no risk of them walking away with a devilish thief, and they are always easily accessible.

This makes sense! Thank you!!

CraggyMan said:
No, the bolts I used were just long enough to pull tight with the nuts inside the Yakima tracks. I used lock washers on the bolts. I did purchase a couple of varying lengths of bolts and played around to figure which length worked best as I too was worried about using too long of a bolt. Hopefully that makes sense... :unsure:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom