mounting rotopax between truck cab roof and below bed section?

OregonIan

Hi all,

I have a 2000 Hawk, and trying to figure out how to get a little extra fuel storage, maybe with a rotopax. I've seen people mount them on the back, and I guess I could do that But I'm wondering if it might be a bit cleaner and out of the way to mount it between the top of my truck cab, and the bottom of the overhanging bed section? I have a 2008 tundra, and had to build a platform for the hawk so it would clear the siderails, so there is about a 5" gap between top of cab and bottom of bed overhang. I've seen people mount it to the front of their camper, between the camper and the cab, but I don't have enough space there for that. I only have room below the sleeping area, above my truck cab.

A couple wonderings...the obvious is--would bed platform be strong enough to support a rotopax hanging from the bottom of it? I'm guessing I'd have to have a big metal plate below my mattress to reinforce. would there be any problem with having it imbalanced? (I'd probably only need one, but I guess I could add one on each side).

Any thoughts/opinions would be much appreciated!

TIA. Ian

I confess to having had similar musings. Ended up deciding not to put one or two 2 gallon + containers of flammable liquid poised over my head while hurtling down the hiway or bouncing down a rugged backroad. Sword of Damocles? Then there is the problem of sleeping on top of the same.

We decided to not carry extra fuel.

Whatever decision you make, stay safe!

Somewhere on here are a couple write ups on between cab and cabover storage from a long time ago that I thought were pretty good. At least one, if not a couple described how they mounted fuel and/or water cans there. One had a write up on, IMO, a pretty fancy aluminum box for storage there. As for would the bed support it? I’ll say yes, though as you mentioned, some support from above may be warranted. For proof I’ll offer this; FWC does, or did offer an optional cabover storage unit. The thing was basically a tub with a rim that fit through a hole cut in the cabover floor.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Howdy

Have you asked yourself why you need an extra few gallons of fuel ?

A small amount of planning might allow for filling the truck tank more often....

I understand the notion of using all available space....but suggest adding soft outdoor gear to the cab of the truck...
( PFD's. ground tarps ? ) instead of the underhang of the camper.

Travel safe.

Second the AT Overland mounts. They look pretty slick although not cheap, $150+ and that doesn't include the Rotopax container.

As to why you would need extra fuel, I never have but if you want to join one of Bob Wohler's off-road adventures, he requires 3-5 gallons of additional fuel carried outside the vehicle.

The external Rotopax holders are also good for people who need to carry a 2nd fuel source (diesel heater on a gas truck, or gasoline for a motorcycle on the back of a diesel truck, etc.)

I think the AT price is fair considering that they're CNC cut/bent stainless. Materials alone is probably more than half that cost.

Thanks for all that input. Seems like maybe mounting gas above the cab isn't the best idea :). I would like to figure something out, because I go to places like eastern Oregon and southern Utah, where it would be worth the piece of mind.

The AT overland gas can holder is something I've considered. it looks great, and I do like how it stores more than most rotopax. However, my camper is a 2000 without corner jack mounts, which I'm pretty sure are necessary to mount the AT gas can holder?

Also, I thought maybe it would be worth it to just get corner brackets installed. Using the two brophy camper jacks, with the camper precariously balanced, is super dicey. But I called Das Mule up in Portland, they quoted me like $2k just to install the corner brackets. Something about parts, labor, etc. Thought that was crazy, given that I paid $6k for the whole camper a couple years ago. I might look at installing the camper jack brackets myself.

Howdy

How about an old fashioned Jerry can and holder...bolt it to the side of your truck bed ?

Only need it when you go remote....remove the can and fuel when you don't need it.

I have done a few things over the last few years. There wasn’t quite enough room under the bed section with the roof rack on my Tacoma. So I created my own rack that goes across the roof rack in front of the FWC. It worked fine for fuel and water but I have never like having fuel up there like others mention. I was constantly checking on it. And it’s harder to vent them when laying flat. They would swell with my high elevation changes so I have to take them down, vent and put back up. So my next trip this week, I could do water up there if needed but will instead have Rotopax mounted on side on the jack brackets. Will see how it goes and do a full write up and photos eventually. If all goes well.

The AT setup looks neat. I could fit mine there but then couldn’t use the normal lock so this is different with the side slot. I wonder what the Gen 2 difference is though and why previous 2 gallon won’t work? Don’t really want to buy more pax just for it.

Why didn’t I do them in the back? Because I have maxtrax there. Those should be lower and not up high if possible. I heard advice from some off road trainers and instructors such as at Overland Expo that putting them on any roof is not best because if you are stuck or really need them, you have to climb up on it to get them, which could make your situation worse. So they said seeing them up on so many roofs isn’t good. And people with two don’t have enough because you have four tires, four is better. Sorry for the side ramble there. It’s like a jigsaw puzzle figuring all this out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom