Mounting things on exterior of FWC

Doff

Advanced Member
Hi all
Wondering if there’s any tips or tricks for mounting things to the exterior of our camper. We have a 2021 hawk FWC with smooth exterior siding. I’d like to figure out a way to mount our camping chairs and small travel bbq to the outside of the camper. Anyone done anything like this? How’d ya do it?

Thanks!

And if you did it, how long ago and how has it held up? Any cracks forming? Do you go off-road?

I think the best is to use the receiver hitch accessories since they mount to the frame of the truck. I was even going to install one on the front.

I use airline tracks, very flexible and gives a lot of option. Easy to configure as you need depending on what you need to bring.

Attachments

• 2AAB2F60-9B66-41A3-9572-F3A4801D07CA.jpeg
    2AAB2F60-9B66-41A3-9572-F3A4801D07CA.jpeg
    94.8 KB · Views: 853
  • 043D23BA-FCBF-418F-9077-014DAB5AF85E.jpeg
    043D23BA-FCBF-418F-9077-014DAB5AF85E.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 889
  • 91636904-FB39-4229-A81A-0C9C1C4A4926.jpeg
    91636904-FB39-4229-A81A-0C9C1C4A4926.jpeg
    91.5 KB · Views: 787
  • C1D85228-C660-46E5-A3B8-D3255FDCF206.jpeg
    C1D85228-C660-46E5-A3B8-D3255FDCF206.jpeg
    100.2 KB · Views: 678
Dessmo said:
I use airline tracks, very flexible and gives a lot of option. Easy to configure as you need depending on what you need to bring.
Did you bolt them through the frame? Do you have more pictures? That looks great

check out the 8020 camper side rack brkt from Saltmade.co

these brackets attach to jack brkts. u can then span the width with 8020. the 8020 would give u lots of options for mounting gear. this also eliminates drilling through the camper skin. i am kicking myself for not putting the jack brkts all the way up the side, though u can still add them in - there is a good amount of aluminum frame at the corners.

RC - if u are going to mount to camper frame, i would use rivnuts. i would trust them more than rivets.

Travel18 said:
Did you bolt them through the frame? Do you have more pictures? That looks great
I bolted through at top/bottom for those I use for heavy stuff. In addition self tapping screws and glue. Is very solid, the rear locker is around 100lb when full with 2 cans of diesel. I will trie to take some more pictures later. Just use your fingers to tap/feel on the outside to locate the frame.

Dessmo said:
These look good, but how did you identify where the metal inside your camper

goinoregon said:

these brackets attach to jack brkts. u can then span the width with 8020. the 8020 would give u lots of options for mounting gear. this also eliminates drilling through the camper skin. i am kicking myself for not putting the jack brkts all the way up the side, though u can still add them in - there is a good amount of aluminum frame at the corners.

RC - if u are going to mount to camper frame, i would use rivnuts. i would trust them more than rivets.
These look really interesting. Do you happen to know what brackets they use to mount things on the *back* of the camper (in the images on saltnade's site, there are maxtraxx and a jerrycan mounted to backets which connect to your jack stands--but which are they?

UmkaAndHawk said:
These look good, but how did you identify where the metal inside your camper

These look really interesting. Do you happen to know what brackets they use to mount things on the *back* of the camper (in the images on saltnade's site, there are maxtraxx and a jerrycan mounted to backets which connect to your jack stands--but which are they?
no i dont know what works for the back. they appear to be small company, and i am sure they would answer the phone. let me/us know what you do.

goinoregon said:

Those brackets are awesome. Thanks for the post!

I couldn’t find them when I looked a few months ago. They must be out of business.

I am a big fan of the 80/20. Easy to customize and to break down when not needed. I use the camper jack brackets as install points. Just punch in 80/20 on your browser to get to their page. Lots of options.

Dessmo said:
Dessmo,

These look great! I'd like to do something similar. The bolts go through to the inside of the camper? Were you able to locate the aluminum beams? Any more pictures? What did you use for sealant on the outside? Thank!

Sorry, still learning how to use forum. I just found 80/20.net. Is this the same product that was being discussed by Saltmade?

Rebelorr said:
Sorry, still learning how to use forum. I just found 80/20.net. Is this the same product that was being discussed by Saltmade?
Yes, Saltmade used 80/20.

Rebelorr said:
@rebelorr did you end up finding the bracket on 80/20.net? I am struggling to locate it ! Any help would be great! Thanks

I really wasn’t sure what I needed when exploring the 80/20.net website. Then I found a local overlanding shop that offered custom solutions, including using 80/20 products. Ultimately I went with a different solution from that shop. Sorry I can’t be of more help on specific 80/20 items.

Howdy Chet

OF COURSE it is thin !....thats' what makes the camper so light and yet strong.

This has been mentioned many, many times but every new generation of owners want to have it both ways and mount all sorts of adventure goodies on the sidewalls or above their campers in order to have the real "Adventure travel " experience.

You were smart to investigate the wall structure first.

David Graves

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom