move camper a few miles with no tiedowns?

campito

Advanced Member
I was in an accident and they decided my truck is a total. Body shop is only a few miles from my house. If I can find someone with a truck, is it possible to carefully load the camper and move to my house?

I'm trying to envision some way to strap-in, but not sure what is possible.

Assuming you won't have to accelerate up a steep hill or floor it from a stop... I'd risk it if I was in your position.
But that's just me... And I paddle my kayak among alligators.

campito said:
I'm trying to envision some way to strap-in, but not sure what is possible.
You could get a flatbed tow truck to move it a few miles for you. Or, you could attach a strong bow shackle to each of the jack brackets and then rachet it down from the shackles to a strong tie-down points near the four corners of the truck.

how would you get it on and off a flatbed?

I'm not even sure I'm I'm going to get it off the truck since the truck is not drivable, no driver side suspension or tire

Just have the flatbed transport your truck and camper to where you want to off load the camper.......then they can offload the combo, your can jack the camper and then they can load the truck back.

Easy Peezy.

Sorry for your misfortune.

David Graves

campito said:
how would you get it on and off a flatbed?

I'm not even sure I'm I'm going to get it off the truck since the truck is not drivable, no driver side suspension or tire
A flatbed wrecker will lower a ramp and winch the combo up onto the flatbed where they will secure it. They will need to winch the truck clear of the jacks once you get it back home and lifted off the pickup. It's a tricky job, but a skilled wrecker can do some remarkable rigging and maneuvering. I was sort of thinking that they might use a dolly under the wrecked front wheel to help move it while winching with some directional stability. Try calling one and asking them what they think. Your local fire department might be able to recommend a skilled wrecker. They probably work with them a lot at accidents. Hopefully your insurance will cover the costs. Good luck with this and sorry this has happened.

Sorry for loss of your truck. Hopefully you weren't hurt. Since the truck isn't drivable, I'd have the truck/camper combo hauled home as others have suggested. Have the wrecker back it into the driveway. Once you disconnect camper from the truck, they can come back and pull the truck forward before loading it up. As for putting it on another truck, you can use two pairs of ratchet straps. When I bought my camper, the seller lived in a mountain community about a hundred miles away. I attached the rear camper brackets to the front of the bed and the front brackets were attached to the rear. I was very careful when accelerating from a stop. I checked the straps a few times along the way and adjusted them once but we made it home ok.

MarkBC said:
Assuming you won't have to accelerate up a steep hill or floor it from a stop... I'd risk it if I was in your position.
But that's just me... And I paddle my kayak among alligators.
My opinion is like Mark’s. If I were in your predicament, I would do it, but I’d also strap it down, probably at the jack mounts.

Ask to see if there is a fork lift at the yard or nearby. Use the jacks to lift the camper and use a fork lift to move the camper off the truck. Then using the fork lift to slide it on the transport truck.

If the forks are short run a wide webbing strap from the fork lift around to the front and back to the fork lift. Think of a refrigerator dolly how the strap works. Put a moving blanket between the back of the camper and the fork lift. A construction lift all would have longer fork lengths. BTW a fork lift is what FWC uses to move campers around their shop and place the camper on your truck

• Once on the transport truck put a strap from side rails anchor around the back and back to a side rail anchor. This will keep the camper forward.
  • Run a second strap at the front of the bed anchor over the top and back to a front bed anchor. This will keep the camper from lifting up at the front.
Sorry for your accident but the moving of your camper is doable I wish you well.

Easy.

Borrow a truck that the camper will fit, and use 4 ratchet straps from the jack brackets down to the truck some where.

I've driven 1000's of miles like this with FWC's.

4 good straps, hooked to the truck, and take it easy.

You should be fine.

Back in the days, we drove from Portland, OR to Woodland, CA with a Grandby Model on our Dodge Ram 2500, almost 560 miles, with NO turn buckles attached. :O

Not planned, and not advised!!!! We worked too many hours the week/weekend, were loading 8 campers on trailers at 10pm Sunday night, and forgot turn buckles for the camper on the truck. But the camper didn't fall off. So if you have it strapped down, can't imagine it going any where if you are only going a few miles.

thanks everyone. I'll provide an update when moved. My next issue will be how to get it to FWC for repair.

Camper is safe and sound in my storage area. Jacked it up, and body shop guy did a great job of carefully pulling the truck from under the camper. Put it on a short bed Tacoma with tailgate down, two straps, and a 5 mile drive to storage. It "seemed" ok, didn't seem to be any movement. Thanks for thoughts and advise!

campito said:
Camper is safe and sound in my storage area. Jacked it up, and body shop guy did a great job of carefully pulling the truck from under the camper. Put it on a short bed Tacoma with tailgate down, two straps, and a 5 mile drive to storage. It "seemed" ok, didn't seem to be any movement. Thanks for thoughts and advise!
I’m glad it worked out... well done!

░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░█░░█░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░█░░█░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░█░░░█░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░█░░░░█░░░░░░░░
███████▄▄█░░░░░██████▄░░
▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█░
▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█░
▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█░
▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█░
▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█░