Move over, San Andreas fault

I remember the earlier discussions about this possibility as mentioned in the article. Image the big fault jumping to the east side of the Sierra Nevada Range and heading north with San Francisco, fascinating stuff to contemplate. takesiteasy, thanks for posting the link to this article! :)

Here"s your chance to buy some property in eastern Ca. for future beach front housing.
What a plan just wait around 4/10 million years.
What an idea.
Thanks for the info, Al
Frank

On a human timescale, I recall seeing a documentary years ago about the possible damage to the Naval Weapons Depot in China Lake or the Army Depot in Hawthorne Nv if there were to be an earthquake larger than the 1995 5.8 Ridgecrest temblor. I think the documentary was done during the time the Yucca Mountain Nuclear Waste Depository was being hotly debated. Maybe some of you with much better memories would remember this ( and more accurately too)!! Sorry for being nihilistic - I like the beach front idea much better. Thanks for posting the article.

EM4 said:
I enjoyed that Takesiteasy....interesting stuff. Wish I could be around to see even a fraction of the possible changes.....heck who knows maybe we all will.
Could happen. I'd be content with a time-lapse viewed from a distance. :) I've got family in the Bay area and keep hoping the big changes are still well in the future.

Interesting article, but for me, Ill stick with the San Andreas fault. Its what's been happening here for the past 25-30 million years.
Geologyjohn
formerly Branch of Tectonophysics
U.S. Geological Survey

Back
Top Bottom