Moving from F150 to bigger truck

Gormley Green

Contributors
Hey all, I've got the wheels turning now about moving from my 2010 F150 to a bigger F250 or 350 and was wondering if anyone may know how my 2010 Hawk would fit in the bed of one of those trucks, of comparable vintage. I will be able to ask FWC too, but thought this may be a useful reference thread.

My Hawk fits my 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel short bed perfectly. I know not a Ford, but thought I'd throw a plug out there for Dodge diesels!

I'm pretty sure the F250/350 don't have beds as deep as the F150 so the camper will look to sit higher with the gap between the bottom of the camper and the bed being more significant. The normal bed length is also 6.75' (vs. 6.5' on the 157" supercrew F150) from what I remember from my research, so the bed will be a tad longer than the camper. I have a 2010 F150 as well, and kind of worked through this a while back considering the same. Decided to stick with my F150 for now.

Thank you for the great advice. My main concern was in fact bed depth, as I think FWC adds an additional platform under the camper to make it sit higher for the newest F150s. I'm sure it could be removed easily enough. I was unaware of the bed length differences.

I love my F150 as well and it handles the camper perfectly. Ive been towing some large trailers recently and requiring more payload for work, so that's why I'm considering going larger. 108,000km problem free on my truck, about 45,000 with the camper, and 24,000 with the camper and an 8x10 enclosed trailer. It's part of our family!

We researched trucks before purchasing our FWC and we read the Ford F-250/350 cab is a little taller than the F-150 and so the F-150 platform is needed for the F-250/350 even though the bed rails are a little lower. If correct, the camper looks a little better on a F-250/350 since the over the cab gap is smaller. Check with FWC on fit but lowering a factory FWC looks impossible on our camper. One advantage of the factory camper lift is the floor wood stays very dry since the lift is done with slates and not one big sheet which would be too heavy (we never take our camper off).

Looks like the Hawk will fit 150/250/350.

http://www.fourwheelcampers.com/index.php/shopping-tools/fit-guide/#ford

FWIW - If you're going to bigger rig I'd get a 350 for the extra capacity. Not a lot of difference in cost.
sign0134.gif

I upgraded from a 1/2T chevy to a dodge 3/4T. Night and day difference but i'm sure you realize that through your research.

Just for reference, on my Hawk, I have about 1.5" of clearance above the roof. Its pretty tight but I think it looks sharp. I'm not a fan of huge gaps between the roof and cab. There doesn't seem to be much wind buffetting. On the rear opening of the tailgate has about 3/4" of gap, its a tight fit. The top of the box rails is also super tight, there is about 1/4" from the top of my rails to the bottom of the camper. I do have stupid little plastic caps on the box rails, so that might account for some gap. Its a super tight fit and does take some more wiggling to get on but it looks really sharp as it looks likes its built for the dodge.

oh, I should also add, my box is 6'3", so there is 3" of camper overhang out the back

My Hawk was originally installed on a Tundra. When I bought the F250 FWC had to install slats on the bottom to raise it up to clear the cab roof.

I never take the camper off and love having it on a 3/4 ton rig.

Hey Gormley Green... It has been awhile. We upgraded from the Tundra to a 2006 GMC 2500 duramax. Best thing we ever did. The camper fit just perfect! You will be so happy with the bigger truck!

My 2010 Hawk fits snugly on my 2010 F250. Can't quite close tailgate but it's nice to not have camper hanging off the back. Here's a picture.IMG_1155.jpg

There is about a 3" clearance between my truck's roof and the camper. I believe that this is the amount of lift FWC created by adding the slats.

camper to roof clearance - DSC_05550020.JPG

Mobile camp on wheels - DSC_05540019.JPG

You will love how a 3/4 ton truck handles the camper.

Back
Top Bottom