Moving your backup camera? Something to consider/remember

kmcintyre

I'm getting my new truck ready (RAM 1500) to mount the FWC Eagle on it and since I'm coming from a 2001 Dakota, I have a backup camera now. Unfortunately it's mounted in the tailgate so I purchased a new camera and wiring. Snaps right in and now I have a camera but where to mount it?

As I had to build a wood platform for my Eagle to fit the RAM 1500, there is the logical place. Perfect. Snap some wiring in, mount the camera up high (higher than mounting it in the bumper) and presto.

I plugged the wiring/camera in to insure it works before bundling everything up and learned something I should have known and stating it here for obvious reasons (that I didn't think about).

The camera has a top and bottom! Make sure you know what the top and bottom of your camera otherwise you'll be backing up, uphill :).

I know it's obvious, but I didn't think about it until I tested everything. It would have been a major hassle to unload the camper, take apart my platform, etc. later.

I am going to have the same dilemma with my new '16 F-350.
I really like the back up camera and am trying to figure out if I can drill a hole somewhere in the bumper to mount the camera....

smlobx said:
I am going to have the same dilemma with my new '16 F-350.
I really like the back up camera and am trying to figure out if I can drill a hole somewhere in the bumper to mount the camera....
A lot of people drill a hole through the license plate (or just above it in the plastic) and that was my idea until I figured out that my wood frame was about 8" higher and provided a viable solution. I need to check today before I screw it in to try and get it level, etc. but preliminary testing looks good.

smlobx said:
If you can please post a pic of it when you're finished.
I'll try although it may not tell you much. I had another "ah-ha" moment when I tested my mount. Check the angle of your camera in your tailgate. I figured it was level and was going to mount my camera that way. When I tested it, it looked like I was backing up a mountain. The camera really angles downward; maybe 30 degrees. I'll manufacture something like a wedge to get the right angle.

Our Four wheel camper installer is saying he will move the existing tailgate camera from our 2016 Chevy Colorado Diesel to the bumper. At first we considered installing an after-market camera in the bumper so that we could still use the tailgate camera when we took the camper off the truck.
Has anyoone done this? If we move the existing camera to the bumper will it work as well (view angle) as it does in the tailgate?
Our camper is coming in December!

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Tablet

In my RAM, I just bought a new camera and wiring harness and plug-and-play. Still trying to figure out a way to mount it with the correct angle.

I'm assuming your truck has a similar method to disconnect the tailgate and wiring as the RAM and I didn't want to take it out of the tailgate so just bought the hardware on ebay, etc. Probably spent $75 total.

Ok, I finished my backup camera relocation. It turned out really well after I figured out and came up with a plan.

My original idea was to try and drill out an angled hole for the camera so that it would face down as it does from the factory. That proved to be a difficult idea. Getting the hole right, etc., all seemed impossible so I stopped trying. Then (as a lot of things do) after a few days I had the "ah-ha" moment. Mount the camera perpendicular to the mount, then angle the mount! I figured the angle was about 33degrees so I cut a "wedge" at that angle (also had to cut the block at the same angle to fit in the location - see pictures).

I drilled out the backside of the block, mounted the camera, etc. This was being mounted on my platform for the Eagle on my RAM and it fit perfectly once I was done.

I used original wiring and you can see the routing that I used. My camera isn't centered but it's close and I kind of wanted off-center so that when I have my bike rack on, I can see.

I think the pictures tell the story better than I do.

Enjoy.

Attachments

• 20161120_121221.jpg
    20161120_121221.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 163
  • 20161120_121249.jpg
    20161120_121249.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 177
  • 20161120_121632.jpg
    20161120_121632.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 158
I bought an aftermarket camera that plugs into the existing wiring harness. At first I mounted it on the flat vertical part of the bed behind where the tailgate was. It was too low and the license plate lights interfered with the view. I moved it up onto the camper itself. Just placed it on one of the screws for the propane tank box. When I remove the camper it takes about 5 minutes to disconnect the aftermarket camera and reconnect the tailgate camera. ImageUploadedByWander The West1480011740.678077.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Back
Top Bottom