Mr Buddy Heater at altitude

John C

Advanced Member
I have lurked through a number of threads discussing various options for portable heaters and the concerns about their performance at altitude. In the FWIW catagory I had Moby and the Fleet up on Mount Laguna last weekend at 6100' and my Buddy heater worked fine (Damn good thing too as it was bloody cold!) I know 6k' isnt really that high but its as high as i am likely to get to anytime soon (Jeremiah Johnson I'm not) Not too big a deal but I have read other posts stating 4500' as the max for this unit and I thought I would share my experience.

My Mr. Buddy worked ok when camping at Silverton CO. 9,300' It required an open port hole to keep the heater running though.

My Mr. Buddy worked ok when camping at Silverton CO. 9,300' It required an open port hole to keep the heater running though.

I think they say good to 8000' and performance will decline after that. Summer in Colorado means 10,000 :) Of course summer can still be frosty.

I've had a Buddy heater for quite a few years and have used it many times in tents, my FWC and also my Airstream when boondocking. The highest I've used it is at 7'000', with no problems. In the camper and trailer I always leave a window or two cracked as well as the roof vent. I don't sleep with it on.

TGK

Back
Top Bottom