Mt Lemmon Info Request

ScottBailey

Hey all, in a couple weeks I'm headed to my brother-in-law's annual camping trip. This year it's at the Showers Point Group Site in the Catalinas.

Google maps shows the route from my house in east Mesa on the I10 through Tucson as 3:26 while the back route -- through Florence, Oracle, and up the east side of the mountain -- as 3:45. That's a 20 minute difference.

I don't like driving through Tucson and suspect the back route is less busy; however, it looks like Google is assuming 25mph on the back side of Mt Lemmon. I suspect this is unrealistic. Any experienced opinions?

Also, where is a good place for lunch in Oracle?

Side note: last year's annual trip was the first time my wife -- of 4 years tomorrow -- and I camped together. Including that first trip, we now have 21 nights camping together! (18 of those are in the ATC.)

Scott,

The backroad (mt lemmon control road) has some sections that you could easily exceed 25 mph on and some sections that you will probably be running at a much slower rate. The whole road is 2wd and fairly smooth the last time I was there. It doesn't really get steep and somewhat slow until the last section. I would go for it... even if it takes longer, it is a much nicer drive. I have had my truck up the backside with the camper on with no issues.

Give me a call or shoot me a PM if you have any other questions.

Kyle

Lemme be the first to send congrads to you/the Mrs. on 4 years, scott.:thumb:

Yikes....now why do I feel so old all of the sudden? :rolleyes::eek:

I haven't been to Mt. Lemmon since I was a kid.... quite the change from the valley floor....

have fun out there

mtn

Scotty,
What Kyle said. I've only been down not up but you shouldnt have any problem with your rig. We've never eaten in Oracle. Its a pretty depressed place.

Back
Top Bottom