Mud Lake Rd to Allen?

slash2

I was just touring the Sierra Mtns via Google Satellite View when I noticed a place off the beaten path called Allen. There appears to be nothing more than a broken down cabin there but the surrounding country looks interesting, maybe worthy of an overnight stay and a walk around. This is off Hwy 88 near Silver Lake. It looks like it can be accessed off of Mud Lake Rd.

Before heading that way just to find a locked gate or an impassable road I thought I'd check to see if anyone had any first hand info.

Worthy of a visit?

Never heard of Allen before but the road from mud lake will take you to the old Plasse trading post site along squaw ridge. This was part of the 42 trail closures but I believe has been reopened. I'd call first to make sure. The entrance is a bit hard to find as its right by some cabins. Almost looks like you're pulling into a driveway. Unless you take the long route (Pardoe Trail) from Bear Reservoir.

Thanks craig333!

Using your information I was able to find the info I needed for the area. I'll be putting it on the "to do" list!

I have only skied into Allen Camp to find a lost snowmobiler. I have only hiked the upper portions of the Carson Route of the California Trail which is the route from Mud Lakes up and over West Pass. Part of this is now closed to motor vehicles, best to consult the Forest's motor vehicle use map - Amador District.

slash2, I'm wondering if you ever made it in to Allen Camp or to the site of Plasse Trading Post on the Carson Route of the California Trail of Gold Rush fame?

Plasses-Oct-2019-007-copy.jpg

Plasses-Oct-2019-016-copy.jpg

Interesting spots to check out, thanks. Hwy 88 corridor has been well used, glad to learn more.

Speaking of 88, anyone have any info on the route post emigrant days but before the modern 88?

Back
Top Bottom