Mule's Solution to the F150 Alu Bed issues....

Ruck_and_Roll

I know that some have posted to this forum regarding truck bed deformation and some issues with Ford's Aluminum beds. Another poster had mentioned Mule had used some aftermarket mounting brackets.

Talked to a mule rep today and I am somewhat intrigued...they aren't cheap but seems to me worth the price of piece of mind.

https://dasmule.com/collections/ford/products/ford-f-150-camper-mounting-brackets

It is actually a pre fabricated bracket that attaches to to the truck frame (rather than attaching to the cross bar "u channels" or the bed itself. The bracket has pre drilled holes that lineup with pre-existing holes in the truck body.

Anyone have any experience with these?

Best,

Luke

Wow, that looks like a great bracket and the price is not bad at all. If they had brackets like those for the RAM 3500 I just may have gone with them instead of the Torklift frame mounted tie-downs.

I thought I would provide an update on the Mule brackets. After a good 6 months with my camper on full time, I finally took the camper off for the off-season. I thoroughly inspected the bed and found no issues such as cracks or bed warping. It looks like the brackets are doing their job. I have the mule brackets in the front and in the rear I have the standard 4x6 in metal backing plates.

Thanks for the update. Pics are always appreciated if you have a chance.

I think Mule are heading in the right direction and wish they had them available for other trucks also. Even though my system is working well I still would prefer attaching to the frame.

Thanks for the update we were just talking about these brackets on a F150/Hawk thread. Based on that discussion I ordered and just received my brackets yesterday and installed one side today. I’m hoping my install is a keeper. I’m looking for some feedback on my install and guidance on eyebolts to finish the job.

Like Rustybender on the other thread, I found the brackets were not a perfect fit. He notched his brackets and use 3/8” bolts to get the bracket between the ribs and against the bottom of the bed. I was prepared to replicate his approach but…

Sizing up the job I found that if I used the recommended 7/16” bolts the top of the bracket was about a 1/4 or 1/2” away from the bottom of the bed. I believe Mule’s intent was for it to contact the bottom of the bed but I thought maybe with the right spacer I’d be fine. I tried it and am pleased. I ended up using a stack of (4) 7/16” washers (0.275”H, 0.5 ID, 1.25 OD). Looking from the bed down through the hole in the bed the stack of washers looked tight and perfectly aligned. A 1/2” bolt slips right through the bed, washers, and bracket and tightens nicely. I thinking and hoping a 1.25” OD spacer under the bed is adequate for whatever is used in the bed. Any thoughts on the spacer approach? Ruck and Roll, how did you install?

What is used in the bed? Size (1/2” probably), grade, with what nuts and washers?

FYI on the bracket to the frame bolts I also use flat washers inside the frame. Had to heat and bend a wrench to use to keep the bolt heads inside the frame from spinning when tightened.

Well done. Yes the other option was shims, you figured that out and you would be fine with the washers or a plate for a shim. I just used 3/8 inch forged galvanized eyebolts. That is what I had on my Chevy before I got this truck and they are good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom