multi purpose back rest/bed addition/ect.

snow hunter

I decided I needed a back rest and a bigger bunk bed in the ninja camper.

It had to be light,strong,comfortable and portable. Also cheap like almost free.
I thought about the design and decided on function over fashion. It was also going to be multi purpose as well.

I started looking around the house for materials and found a couple peices of 1x4 and 2x4. some scrap plywood,wood screws ,used bubble wrap, and a old bed sheet .If I find the cloth material that the couch is done in I will change to it to that, but for now I will go with the bed sheet.
This was just about everthing I needed since I have a drill and saw.

So after about an hour I ended up with my creation.
I now have double the loft space or a back rest for the couch. It works great and probably has more uses.
Some that come to mind our a ouside lounger ,ironing board, buffet table when placed on my fold out table, ramp for dog to get in camper and firewood.ect.

Just a simpe mod. but a usefull one.

Attachments

• coach in camper 002.jpg
    coach in camper 002.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 519
  • coach in camper 005.jpg
    coach in camper 005.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 530
  • coach in camper 003.jpg
    coach in camper 003.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 511
How's that aluminized bubble insulation work for you?

Good .
I use that stuff up up on the bunk and every where else it needs it.
no worries about moisture and rot.I also made a liner for the canvas out of about 5 long peices that really helps when it is cold.

here's one place, chinlisle http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/home

We also wanted a more comfortable sleeping surface in our Hawk. We ended up purchasing 2 custom made foam pads that build the bed up to one level...just above the ledge, giving it a 34" width and an extra 2 inches of foam. It's very comfortable!

Like Scott said in another post, "everyone camps differently". While this may not fit the needs of others, this option has worked well for us.

thanks for sharing

mtn

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 456
Where do you get that stuff and can it sewn?

I found that stuff at Lowes.It comes in various sizes that our in rolls.

I think it can be sewn ,stapled, glued,screwed and nailed.It seems to last with out falling apart.

The bed.....

This is the one spot of my camper that has always been a problem. I've had a FWC and I have an AT now...

When I bought the AT I was only worried about a spot for me to sleep and possibly one of my boys or a buddy. Now that I'm attached I've had to rethink the setup...

We tried sleeping on the top bunk but there just wasn't enough room. After moving to the bottom i was always hanging a leg over the side. So I've begun a project that I will be putting on the thread. After thinking about this WAY too much I decided to simply determine the exact problem... We need a bigger bed.

So, I think I finally have a solution. Wish me luck and I'm ready to go!

CB:rolleyes:

This is the one spot of my camper that has always been a problem. I've had a FWC and I have an AT now...

When I bought the AT I was only worried about a spot for me to sleep and possibly one of my boys or a buddy. Now that I'm attached I've had to rethink the setup...

We tried sleeping on the top bunk but there just wasn't enough room. After moving to the bottom i was always hanging a leg over the side. So I've begun a project that I will be putting on the thread. After thinking about this WAY too much I decided to simply determine the exact problem... We need a bigger bed.

So, I think I finally have a solution. Wish me luck and I'm ready to go!

CB:rolleyes:

Do you not want to just add a slide to your AT like would come stock if you ordered it?

What is a slide?

I have a Panther Shell that has an L shaped couch that folds out into a bed that is just under the size of the one on top. I just need it to reach completely to the other side of the camper... basically make the lower part of the camper into only a bed when it's time to hit the hay.

It would seem that I just need to plug the "hole" that is left. If I wanted I would toss the mattress from the top bunk on top of that and have a real bed but I'm going to eliminate that mattress and use that for storage...

I hope that I'm clear with this... sometimes I'm not... ask my kids...

Oh you're talking about making the lower bed larger, I see.

The slide out I was referring to is for the upper bunk, its a bed extension that pulls out from under the top mattress. I believe on your model the upper bed is currently 48x80"? You can add a slide out to either make the bed a queen (still sleeping perpendicular to the truck) or king and you can sleep either way.

On the overhead bed, we have the king: 80x80.

I'm going to encourage you to consider adding the slider and mattress to the top. It makes a large, comfortable bed and leaves you space to add amenities below that you (or your SO) might later want...

Bed mod...

Oh, that slider...

That was a consideration, we also wanted more space between us and the roof plus on the bottom the dogs sleep with us. I've figured out a way to make a piece for the lower bed that will allow us to use virtually all of the lower space for sleeping (except for the spot in front of the heater vents).

The bonus that we are getting is by deciding to not sleep up top I am going to remove the mattress and use that area for storage. You would be amazed at how much you can store up there while driving! So far I have been able to fit both sleeping bags, blankets, our propane stove, pillows, clothes for a month, two shakespeare folding chairs, and still have room left... :D

On the floor I have a Dometic RC2000 portable frig. and that's it. All of my other storage (under the L shaped couch) extra battery, inverter, fishing gear, tools and axe, and a ton of space for a "pantry", with room left over.;)

Once I decided to not use the upper bunk I was amazed at the bonus space... So far, so good.... news at 11.

Back
Top Bottom