Must have aftermarket accessories?

rotti

Just ordered a new Chevy 2500HD crew cab truck for my soon to be ordered Hawk.

Here is what I'm thinking of adding:

Line-x spray in bed liner
Rubber bed mat on top of liner (to protect the liner....I know crazy)
WeatherTec floor matts front and rear
Rear under seat storage DuHa
AMP power steps......maybe, later on (depends on wife)

Any reviews of the above items?
Also, I would be curious as to what others here have added and consider desirable.

Just ordered a new Chevy 2500HD crew cab truck for my soon to be ordered Hawk.

Here is what I'm thinking of adding:

Line-x bed liner
Rubber bed mat on top of liner (to protect the liner....I know crazy)
WeatherTec floor matts front and rear
Rear under seat storage DuHa
AMP power steps......maybe, later on (depends on wife)

Any reviews of the above items?
Also, I would be curious as to what others here have added and consider desirable.

Can you run a bed liner with the camper? What about a spray on liner? From what I have read about the install at ATC they suggest removing the bed liner.I know yours isn't an ATC but check with Stan to make sure. You don't want to spend all the money for a bed liner and can't use it under your new hawk.

Frank

You are correct about no drop in liner, but Line-X is a spray in type liner.
I will edit, thanks.

Air bags.

I know it is a 3/4 ton -- but the Chevy trucks ride nice for a reason. You don't need it for the load capacity, but you might want them for the leveling ability.

Air bags.

I know it is a 3/4 ton -- but the Chevy trucks ride nice for a reason. You don't need it for the load capacity, but you might want them for the leveling ability.

I was debating a 3500 but.......good point on the air bags.
Actually I hope it drops a inch or two. I have a 8' garage door and I think I am over by about an inch or so.
How far did yours drop?

I would nix the rubber mat. I have a good line-x spray in liner and over the last 7 years, I've only ripped up one little tag when I threw a piece of sharp metal in the back.

I do have some slight wear spots where the stippling of the line-x has worn smooth but not through to the metal bed.

I was debating a 3500 but.......good point on the air bags.
Actually I hope it drops a inch or two. I have a 8' garage door and I think I am over by about an inch or so.
How far did yours drop?

I measured it when I loaded it up the first time -- but then didn't write it down. It was a couple inches, and then when I add my trailer it drops even more.

I noticed on my old camper that the rubber mat helped to keep the camper from slipping left to right and front to back. It acted like a grip pad. Also cut down on the friction damage to the bottom of my old camper.

Air bags are nice because you can let out the air and squeak into the garage and then inflate to level the load before a trip. I think air bags are a must even with a 3/4 ton. I know alot of the guys here run them.

Home Skillet

I don't think you can go wrong with the spray in liner. My 2500HD came with Line-X and I haven't had the camper off the truck in a while to look for an problems.

Underseat storage: I thought about those, but instead I removed the plastic facia pieces on the outboard sides of the rear seats. That way I have access to most of the stuff I put under the rear seat without having to flip the seat up. Things like a fire extinquisher and first aid kit I can grab just by opening the rear door of my crew cab.

If I didn't have a stock overhead console, I would get a shelf-it for extra storage. I wish they still made visor-shelf-it, as I really like it on my Dodge.

Poweramp steps: Whatever it takes to keep your wife happy! The way the cab sites on the frame rails, I've thought about some permanent non-moving steps. But haven't found anything that I really like. I may eventually fabricate my own as I've recently started welding.

Airbags: I found that the camper dropped the rear about an inch, which was perfect to level the truck. I couldn't get my Dodge 1500 into the garage with the camper, and there is no way I can get the Chevy in the garage. I haven't measured my garage door height, but I'm sure it's less than 8 feet. I put a 4 inch lift on the front and 3 inch on the rear and as I recall, the height of the top of me FWC Hawk is 7 feet, 6 inches. Add 3-4 inches for the dome of my fantastic fan.

If you have a diesel, you might want to look at aftermarket fuel tanks. I have a 52 gallon fuel tank, which is almost twice as much as the 26 gallon stock tank.
smile.gif
I'm happy to carry the extra fuel weight for the extended range it gives me. Maybe someone makes bigger fuel tanks for gasoline trucks, but all the ones I found specified for diesel only.

Line-x is unreal. It will not notice the camper so no worries.
Weather-tec also amazing.
DuHa is one of my favourite product. Have had in all my trucks, can keep so much more junk and still seem organized.

You have any gps/nav ?

Edo,
The new GMs now have 36 gallon tanks on the 6.5' bed crew cabs. I went with gas so no after market anyway.
I think height wise I am okay with the garage but I just realized the truck is probably going to be 6" too long. Damn!

Mr. Green,
The factory nav was $2200 plus a monthly subscription.....forget that. My droid phone seems to work okay, but maybe a Garmin in my future? 1450LTM ?

Looks like it is unanimous for the WeatherTecs and Line-X. Really like the DuHa storage product also.
Any other suggestions?

Rear axle traction adding device. My first choice would be an ARB or similar selectable locker. Most limited slips don't, second choice would be a Tru-Trac. The old GM "Gov-Loc" was a great idea, but was too fragile.

Rear axle traction adding device. My first choice would be an ARB or similar selectable locker. Most limited slips don't, second choice would be a Tru-Trac. The old GM "Gov-Loc" was a great idea, but was too fragile.

On GMs with the off road package the Eaton G80 rear locker is included.
Is it as good as a selectable locker, no probably not, but in my 11 year old Tahoe the Eaton has been flawless.
Now down the road I would like to add a front selectable locker.

On GMs with the off road package the Eaton G80 rear locker is included.
Is it as good as a selectable locker, no probably not, but in my 11 year old Tahoe the Eaton has been flawless.
Now down the road I would like to add a front selectable locker.

Searched it, not being familiar with what the G80 is. Same thing as the Gov-Loc.
Be very, very careful about spinning a wheel. What happens with those is that when the flyweights catch the cam (or what ever it's called) at a high rate of shaft speed it shears off those little teeth on the flyweight shaft. You want *just* enough differential wheel speed to make it work and no more. On harder core off road forums (like coloradoK5) Gov-Locs are referred to by the name "Gov-Bomb" as they are reasonably common in 14 bolt full-float GM axles, and nearly all of them have failed.

I would pass on the AMP boards for a GM. I am good friends with our local 4x4 shop and they say Ford and Dodge no problem. But for some reason GM electrics will not tolerate them. Constant problems.

Heh... whenever seeing this thread, I hear a zombie voice--

"Must... have... aftermarket... accessories!!!"

:LOL:

x2

First thing I would do to a new truck is put on better tires. OE tires are usually pretty bad.

And definitely go with the Weather Techs.

x2

First thing I would do to a new truck is put on better tires. OE tires are usually pretty bad.

Come on, your killing me.

New truck, new camper and you want me to dump new tires and spend a grand on new tires?

My 401k hates you. :D

Come on, your killing me.

New truck, new camper and you want me to dump new tires and spend a grand on new tires?

My 401k hates you. :D

Yeah, I know. But tires are the only thing that touches the ground. I should say, if you are going off-road then you will want better tires. If you are staying on the pavement then OE tires will work fine.

Yeah, I know. But tires are the only thing that touches the ground. I should say, if you are going off-road then you will want better tires. If you are staying on the pavement then OE tires will work fine.

I did order a upgrade on the tires from all season to all terrain.
The trucks I saw on the lot did have Michelin all terrains, I hope no Firestones show up on mine (see below).

But I do understand where your coming from.
This is OE Firestone on gravel road in the middle of no where, Wyoming.

flat tire.JPG

Back
Top Bottom