Must Have Option

Well, momma gave me the go ahead to order, I'm just a little nervous to spend so much money.

:) Congrats!

It is a big chunk of change, but you will not regret it. And if you do ever change your mind and want to sell the camper the resale value of a Four Wheel Camper is very high.

:) Congrats!

It is a big chunk of change, but you will not regret it. And if you do ever change your mind and want to sell the camper the resale value of a Four Wheel Camper is very high.

When you compare the cost of a truck and loaded FWC against other options like sportsmobile/small motorhome, it's a great value. I got my Ram bighorn on sale for $28k (orig $39k) and my fully loaded Raven for $21k. So for $50k I got something I know will last much longer than those other options I mentioned which start at $80k on up. Order what you think you will use. I went crazy and got:
tan interior w/roll over
elect fridge (waeco)
water heater/shower w DSI elect start
heater
fantastic fan
radio
Jacks(I took them off, only take a couple of minutes)
flourescent lights (liked the softer effect)
Screen Door
Front opening Window
Awning w/light
Rear Wall steps (great for cloths lines, hammocks etc.)
Artic Pak (leave on all the time also good for hot)
Aux battery system w/Extra battery
Solar plug in case I want to add solar later
Ready to go anywhere package
Yakima Rack 120" (So far I havent used them)

I don't regret any of the options

Does anyone have any experience with the rear awning? It seems like it would be nice to have during a rain storm so the door could be left open. Or is it a big pain in the butt to put up and store.

Does anyone have any experience with the rear awning? It seems like it would be nice to have during a rain storm so the door could be left open. Or is it a big pain in the butt to put up and store.

IMO the factory awning looks like a pain to deal with. I think there are other options. I came up with one and other members have also. Mine is based on the rear cargo cover from a Ford Escape. It works great for me and doesn't have to be removed and stored. Takes only to the count of "SIX" to set up. If you want some info I'll post some photos again. I have posted some in the past,they might be in the low cost mods thread.
Frank

IMO the factory awning looks like a pain to deal with. I think there are other options. I came up with one and other members have also. Mine is based on the rear cargo cover from a Ford Escape. It works great for me and doesn't have to be removed and stored. Takes only to the count of "SIX" to set up. If you want some info I'll post some photos again. I have posted some in the past,they might be in the low cost mods thread.
Frank

I would like to see them, I think I missed the photos. Thanks!

Yes, please post photos Casa Escarlata Robles Too.

Hope these help.If you would like more info PM me.
Frank

Attachments

• DSCN4388.jpg
    DSCN4388.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 185
  • DSCN4389.jpg
    DSCN4389.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 211
  • DSCN4390.jpg
    DSCN4390.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 193
  • DSCN4391.jpg
    DSCN4391.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 181
  • DSCN4392.jpg
    DSCN4392.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 189
  • DSCN4393.jpg
    DSCN4393.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 200
  • DSCN4394.jpg
    DSCN4394.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 211
  • DSCN4395.jpg
    DSCN4395.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 207
  • DSCN4396.jpg
    DSCN4396.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 183
  • DSCN4397.jpg
    DSCN4397.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 171
Ok, thanks for all the input, here is what I've decided on:

Jacks
Waeco cr 80
Furnace
Hot water/shower (For momma)
DSI
Fantastic Fan
Roof vent
Screen door
front window
roof rack
rear steps
Rear floods (fluorescent)
Aux battery
Extra Battery
Gas struts
LED Int.
LED Ext.
Awning rail
Rear wall solar plug

I really wanted the side awning, led floods and a 2nd fantastic fan, but by removing them saved over a grand from total bill. I also did not want the gas struts, I do not like how they take up bed space, but momma thought if she ever had to put top up, it would be a good idea. I wish FWC would install a jerry can holder on the back, I would of order that too.

How sturdy are the rear wall steps? Are the rated for a specific amount of weight? I'm worried they will not hold up to my 240# frame.

I didn't get the struts but was told by the guy that delivered my camper that once the lid it up you can remove them with a screw driver so they're out of the way when sleeping. I use the portable speaker stand mentioned earlier to raise the roof and it works great. The wall steps are real sturdy but i mainly use them to tie stuff to like one end of a hammock

BOBM, good to know they can be removed. It was also my intention to get rear wall steps for the pursose other than walking on. I figured if they were sturdy enough to stand on, I could somehow mount a jerry can holder to one.

BOBM, good to know they can be removed. It was also my intention to get rear wall steps for the pursose other than walking on. I figured if they were sturdy enough to stand on, I could somehow mount a jerry can holder to one.

Go for the struts on the front and rear outside.That way it's one less thing to mess with after setting up,and they lift the whole roof.IMO that is the best set up.
Frank

Just added ac to my list. Thought it would come in handy here in the midwest.

Keep in mind that you need shore power (120v) to power AC. A small fan can compensate a whole lot for lack of AC.

What to look for or order kind of comes down to things that are hard to change later, but needed. First on that list for me is the sliding front window, with the accompanying boot. Not sure they even offer that now, seems to be a tiny one instead. How is this important? Well, when traveling you open that, and the corresponding one in your truck cab (you have that, don't you)? With the boot in place to seal the connection then cold or hot air depending on which you are running in the cab circulates back to keep the camper much nicer to get into when you stop. Especially important in hot places. If you stop near sunset or at least in shade a good part of cooling for the night will be done.

Being in Georgia the screen door is essential. I'd say AC too, once I figure out a way without having to plug in. Where I go there are no plugins and I don't want a generator, so still studying on that, mostly only needed for sleeping. The Fantastic Fan is a given here. Heat is also essential, but not all that hard to add (just add money).

First on that list for me is the sliding front window;
Standard equipment on every All Terrain Camper.

The screen door is essential;
Standard equipment on every All Terrain Camper

Screen door is on my list.Sliding front window might be useful if your truck as a sliding window as well.Actually thought about deleting the window all together, it will serve no purpose for me that I can think of, but it more than likely will interfere with one of my ideas I had about a cabinet.

Does any one look at the review mirror through the window and than through the door to back up.I know all TC have the window there ,must be for a reason.

That front slider window on my ATC Bobcat is nice to have open for fresh air. I was able to put a removable screen over the window to keep the critters out. And, Jay once asked if the window screen would "stay put", and it does, almost 1.5 years, so far. Only comes off when I've got the camper off the truck and want to wash the outside of the front window.

I do look out thru the center rear view mirror in the truck to see completely thru the camper with Jeff's special mod of cutting down the solid slider part in my screen door to see traffic behind me, in addition to my side mirrors. Not so much for backing up, just regular driving conditions.

Back
Top Bottom