My favorite MODS - 2002 Eagle

RovingFalconer

Advanced Member
Thought I’d share some of my favorite mods. Pretty sure they’ve all been done before, or some variation has been. But I came up with a few changes that work very well for me. I have found other people‘s posts very helpful, so I wanted to pay it forward.

1) DINETTE CONVERSION: i cut out a 22” section of the bench and then used that section to form two boxes for each seat. No extra wood was needed. I pulled the upholstery off the sofa cushion and cut the foam into four pieces, using an electric turkey carver. Then I reused the upholstery and added some canvas on the bottom so that all the visible upholstery would match. Had to so in a few zippers, which wasn’t easy. I cut a piece of 18x22” melamine for the table, and it fills the missing section of the bench if I want to convert it into a bed. I added some support rails on the benches. Lastly, I installed an RV table leg into the side bench. Had to cut it down and reform the end of the table leg, which I did by carving a circle of wood as a template, inserting it into the pipe end, and then using a chisel and hammer to form the metal around it, thereby achieving the tapered end.

med_gallery_8818_1257_1685091.jpeg
med_gallery_8818_1257_2096655.jpeg

med_gallery_8818_1257_1898516.jpeg

med_gallery_8818_1257_636423.jpeg

2) OUTSIDE WATER LINE: I converted the fresh water drain to a usable spigot off the back, which is way more convenient. I used 3/8” brass fitting from Home Depot to achieve a 90 degree bend, and then attached a shut off valve to prevent issues with the hose freezing in cold weather. A length of water hose is run under the outside of the camper and suspended with wire clips. I fabricated a small piece of bend aluminum to attach the spigot to. Pretty straight forward and works great.
med_gallery_8818_1257_578821.jpeg

med_gallery_8818_1257_1319023.jpeg

med_gallery_8818_1257_482313.jpeg

3) OUTSIDE PROPANE LINE: I added some miscellaneous brass propane fittings to the tank, and created a T for a second line. It has a 1”-20 “throwaway” style fitting, as used in the small green disposable propane tanks. It’s a self-sealing valve so it won’t leak gas when nothing is connected. It goes before the propane regulator, as most stoves and heaters require unregulated propane input. I run an 8’ hose down the side of the truck bed and out the back, where it connects to my stove for outdoor cooking. When it’s cold, I reach through the rear driver side turnbuckle hole and pull the line through, and connect it to a Mr Buddy heater.
med_gallery_8818_1257_1055148.jpeg

med_gallery_8818_1257_794295.jpg

med_gallery_8818_1257_1476101.jpeg

4) CO2/PROPANE DETECTOR: purchased a flush mount propane and carbon monoxide alarm from an RV supplier and mounted it beneath the fridge. Ran wires up through the cabinet and to an on/off switch so I could control when the detector was on. Don’t need it draining my battery 24/7. I hooked it into a spare port on my fuse bus, where the exterior spotlights would normally go. I don’t have or need them. I turn it on the second I start setting up and switch it off when I’m packing out.
med_gallery_8818_1257_487092.jpeg

med_gallery_8818_1257_2095314.jpeg

med_gallery_8818_1257_295179.jpeg

Really nice post 2002tacoma, and like what you have done there.
Looks like the table position would be way more convenient.
I might be seeing it wrong, but looks like your tap for the remote Stove is un-regulated. Are the fittings that you got, do they have built in regulator. Looks like all those mods are going to make camping more pleasant.
Thanks for sharing.

Russ

CougarCouple said:
Really nice post 2002tacoma, and like what you have done there.
Looks like the table position would be way more convenient.
I might be seeing it wrong, but looks like your tap for the remote Stove is un-regulated. Are the fittings that you got, do they have built in regulator. Looks like all those mods are going to make camping more pleasant.
Thanks for sharing.
Russ
Yes, the added propane line is unregulated. I installed a T prior to the regulator coming off the tank. My two burner camping stove and my Mr Buddy heater have their own built in regulators.

Thanks 2002tacoma, for getting back. Figured there was something I was missing, seeing that in the photo stood out to me.
I really like the fittings that you came up with for the drain/outside water access. The OEM plastic valves feel like they are going to snap off each time I use it.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom