My new Camper hauler.

Squatch

My Trooper Blew a head gasket a couple of days ago. The "Moon Truck" is still not finished and we have a vacation coming up soon. I needed a truck and have been thinking about one of these for a while. I think I lucked out. Good timing or something.

2006 Toyota Tundra. 43k miles. Previous owner was an older man who took it to the dealer every 6 months for an oil change, Maintenance check and a wash and detail whether it needed it or not. Carfax was crazy. Sometimes only a few hundred miles between changes.

New tires. Of course they are P metrics not LT's. They'll do for now.

Looks like this bed has seen a lot of use, NOT!

I think it got the factory frame wax recall and they pulled the bed to do it. Then had Lines X patch the bed bolts.

It's a 4door.

Like new inside, out, and underneath. I need to add some Firestone airbags for the camper. But once that's done it should be able to carry the camper (Eagle shell) and probably haul the boat at the same time. I'm keeping My Trooper. But since she blew her top I didn't have a tow vehicle for an upcoming vacation and this appeared so............

I'll will now probably debuid the "Moon Truck" some and sell it. That way I can drive this and concentrate on the cosmetic issues on my Trooper. I'll use the Trooper in bad weather and the plan is for this truck to not see road salt if I can help it.

Whoa what a deal!!! Looks like new... You will love it. Congrats! Post a photo with the FWC on too.

I hate cheap tires! The dealer put new tires on it. Not exactly a great brand. It's had a vibration since I bought it. I took it to a good local tire place for a road force balance. One tire won't balance. So the dealer is replacing it Tuesday. Hopefully that will settle it down till I get around to replacing them with what I want.

I ordered the Firestone airbags, Daystar cradles, and Helwig rear sway bar. Might even be here today! I figure get it right to carry the camper from the get go. Then USE IT!

One of the new tires the dealer put on had a vibration. I took the truck to a good local place for a road force balance and they couldn't balance one of them. I had a 1,000 mile warranty on the truck because I bought it from a dealer. So yesterday I drove 2 hours to the dealer and they replaced it. While I was driving i decided to visit a friend on the other side of the state to show off the truck. I figured I'd wring it out a bit. I put over 300 miles on it yesterday. Drove out a tank of gas. So I checked the mileage. 17.7 MPG! Not bad as I wasn't exactly driving like an old lady. These trucks historically are known for crappy fuel economy. I drove through the mountains in the am and by evening went through Baltimore and DC beltway traffic to the bay. Little bit of everything. The truck handles it all well and has plenty of power.

Thanks for the kind words folks. Just in case I have confused folks this Toyota is NOT the "Moon Truck".

This is the moon truck and will likely be replaced by the Tundra.
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/10588-the-moon-truck/

I'm amazed that all manufacturers supply passenger rated tires on 1/2 ton trucks.
The airbags elevate the load and the Hellwigs improve the highway handling immensely.
I removed mine for a few months but are going to reinstall them again.

Back
Top Bottom