My New FWC Order!

Lucky Dog. Lucky Dog. Lucky Dog!!!!! :cool:

The big fridge, hot water and outside shower are definitely great options and too bad ATC does not have them.

I, too, would spend my 995 on a Honda 2000 vs solar. Sorry Green Guys but solar does not work with snow on it or in the deep dark woods. Two places I love to camp. My travel trailer came with it so I know what it takes to make it work.

FWC/ATC carry a hefty price tag but they do not depreciate like a standard RV. Proof? Ever see many used ones? If you do they are nearly new price.

I have really been wanting one for a long time. Wife said go ahead yesterday but today I have got cold feet about spending that much money right now. Can't make that phone call just yet!!!!! :oops:

I didn't even think of the Snow! I do expect to be using it significantly in the fall. Man I am glad I posted. Keep the posts coming!!!!

From what I have heard from other posts, the two batteries should power the compressor fridge for at least a couple of days. The fridge should be turned off on cold or snowy days eliminating the need for more fridge power .. which will likely be used up by the extra furnace time.

(Below is my reply to your OP, I have not read through the whole thread yet, will read the rest latter tonight.)

My girlfriend is also saying "order the camper already"!

The jack brackets come with the jacks, no need to add the additional $275

Getting the SMEV (glass top) sink and hob is definitely worth it, at least in my little camper world.

You are ordering the factory roof rack and Thule tracks? Just go for the Thule/Yakima tracks.

You are ordering the factory roof rack and Thule tracks? Just go for the Thule/Yakima tracks.

Not a bad idea. At this point I am thinking that I would get more use out of the luggage rack. Not sure what I am going to put up there just yet (Action packer, small box for fire wood, or bags ???) I was thinking the tracks would allow me to expand at a later date. Does anyone have any experience with the "Rocket Box" would it be suitable to support some of the more rigid items?

Go for as much as you can afford. Definitely. As for the smev, its nice but I wouldn't pay extra for it. Certainly in the minority there. The floodlights look nice but I rarely use mine. Either the porch lights are nicer or if you do need a lot of light thats what the lantern is for. You guys do still carry lanterns?

I'd go with the solar. If its not sufficient you can still grab a generator. The shower is actually probably not going to be the first thing to break. I wonder if I could convert mine to the DSI? I didn't even know that was an option.

I've mentioned it before, I like Led's but they still aren't quite there yet. Thats why I use both in camper. LED most of the time but I use the flourescent when I'm cooking.

I'll add my two cents worth. I have a 100 watt solar panel on the roof of the Grandby, an Engel 45 fridge I use as a freezer, a 1.5KW inverter, and a microwave in the camper along with the standard furnace. It has two group 31 batteries. I carried a Yamaha 1000 watt generator for two years and never used it once. I finally took it out of the camper and it's sitting in the garage gathering dust. The longest I've spent in one place was four days at the Tombstone campground off the Dempster Highway in Canada. It was cloudy and snowed one day while I was there so I didn't have four days of sun. I had no problem with power. I don't generally camp in the snow but do spend a lot of time on the North Coast of California where it's cloudy and lots of fog. I don't foresee the need of the generator any time in the future. YMMV.

The shower is actually probably not going to be the first thing to break. I wonder if I could convert mine to the DSI? I didn't even know that was an option.

Just do the relighter mod like I did and it's a snap to light.

From what I have heard from other posts, the two batteries should power the compressor fridge for at least a couple of days. The fridge should be turned off on cold or snowy days eliminating the need for more fridge power .. which will likely be used up by the extra furnace time.

I can get almost 3 days out of one battery with my conpressor fridge and heater both running. With two batteries I think I'd be good for 5 days off hot days and cold nights.

I'd also have to see the glass top stove and sink in action - I'm not sold on them being that much better. Sure they are nicer appliances and totally flat - but when I need flat space I am USING both the sink and stove to prepare food... For the added price I don't think I would get the added value.

I can get almost 3 days out of one battery with my conpressor fridge and heater both running. With two batteries I think I'd be good for 5 days off hot days and cold nights.

Ugly Scout, Sorry if i missed it earlier, What type of battery are you running?

I don't need a lot of counter space in the stove. If there is too much flat space it gets used for junk that just gets in the way. If I need some space I use the table. My requirements for the stove are: will it heat the water in the kettle and can I heat up some soup/fry a burger.

I wouldn't spend the extra for the glass stove.

Generally, when I am wherever I am with the truck camper then being in the camper isn't the reason I am there.

I'm glad this thread has been started since I'm putting together my list for a new Raven. The options are expensive but seem like a high value over time. I'm trying to decide on the compressor fridge over the 3 way and if I choose the latter, do I need solar since I don't yet know how far off the beaten path I'll go yet. I do think it's a good idea to fly up to the factory and see the current options since some of the items in this thread arn't on my current option price list.

Lol! As you likely already know there are pros and cons to both! It depends on how much you want to stay in one place without turning a wheel, how much you want your fridge to be free of hassle, parking on an incline, money ... My head is about to explode!

One thing for sure is it keeps me busy .... but I did get the gutters cleaned today!

This is a great forum to get info. Everyone is very helpful. I was home from work sick with the flu a couple of weeks ago and actually went as far back as could and read all the posts in the FWC forum. Tons of great info!

For what it is worth ... and I likely have the least amount of experience in this forum as I do not yet have FWC ... the majority of fridge owners seem to be moving towards the compressor fridge for its reasonable power draw ... or at least have mentioned they will replace the 3 way with a compressor when it dies.

Good Luck!

I'm looking at rebuilding a FWC. I'll have a space toward the back for a porta potty. It'll have a draw around curtain. I'm also thinking of adding a roof vent with fan directly over this area.

If you are thinking of using a potty, you may want to have one of your vents repositioned.

Looks like a great list.

Back
Top Bottom