My search for another truck

Desert Rancher

Contributors
Last year I began a quest to replace an aging W150 Dodge Power Wagon. I had an older Grandby in great shape that I wanted to keep. Cash was limited, so my plan was to look for the latest model year truck that the camper would fit. According to FWC, that would be a '97 F250/F350. So that began my search.

After a lot of research, I learned that the 7.3 powerstroke engine was awesome and got good mileage. I wanted a truck that would last me 10 years and after a lot of searching, I found it.

I drove 450 miles to Carson City, NV to get a:
'97 F250HD XLT, Ext. cab, 4x4, Long bed with 113,000 miles. Interior was like a showroom and the whole truck had been re-painted 3 years ago. It was owned by an older gent that used it to haul livestock to shows, etc. Now I figured a driver like that was easy on acceleration and the brakes. Also, it had been very well serviced and garaged.

I have had it for 6 months now with no problems. The Grandby around 1,000 lbs does not even compress the leaf springs all the way and makes for a smooth ride. Diesels are easy to get more power out of (but it does not need it). However, we can't just leave things alone...so, a chip, intake filter and exhaust makes an easy extra 50 hp and that's enough !

The 1/2 ton Dodge was always a bit overloaded with all of my stuff; not enough power and not enough brakes.

I am quite happy now. Someday, I may add a fifth wheel toy box to use as a base camp-
And I have all the truck I will ever need.

That's my story...

Did you do the chip and air yet? I have also figured that should I want to pull that toyhauler I'm ready but for now the FWC and a 10' trailer with toys is more versatile. I found my 99 with 110k last spring and now have 146,000.

Did you do the chip and air yet? I have also figured that should I want to pull that toyhauler I'm ready but for now the FWC and a 10' trailer with toys is more versatile. I found my 99 with 110k last spring and now have 146,000.

Yup. TS 6 position chip, TYMAR intake and Diamond Eye 4" exhaust. It runs good and I only have 119,000 miles.

PS. The coolant test strips are in the mail.

I didn't do the exhaust, still debating an EGT gauge. Did get about the best E rated tires I could find, brought the front up 2", added airbags in the rear and put in new leafs as mine were shot, new shocks all around, purrs like a kitten :D

I used to own a 99 dodge diesel and I chipped it. Worse thing I ever did. Why-because it makes your engine run hotter than can lead to cracks in your block.

There are all sorts of mods out there, some piggyback on the existing program, some a new board. I went with DP Tuner from the excellent reviews from good sources and couldn't be happier. I opted for the smallest HP increase, the 60 HP econo mode chip and added a Donaldson oversize air cleaner just for better filtration. The temp gauge has never gone over 3/8ths and the ability to pass and run up grades without having to put your foot all into it is vastly better. It's really easy to get rolling faster than I want, my gps recorded a top speed of 87 on my last trip, guess I passed and got rolling pretty good.

I recommened that you do research on your truck. I did on mine after a problem a found lots of things that the dealers will not tell you. For example 99-01 dodge diesels with a #53 block are weak and will crack on the passengers size. My brother had 97 ford diesel4x4 and couldn't keep a front end under it. Some chevy 4x4 diesels have problems with the transfer case. Do your research. Don

Back
Top Bottom