My wife says I'm nuts

Colorado Mark

Advanced Member
My better half, CFO, SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) says I'm nuts.

Had to take the Grandby off to work on the truck. Truck won't fit on my friends lift with the camper on.

Take the camper off and figured. . . . what the heck. . . may as well wash & wax the roof and the sides since its in the garage.

i-PNRTcJ5-L.jpg

i-LNknxDT-L.jpg

If anyone is interested in the casters I'm using to move the camper - They are from Amazon.

LINKY

i-HNbVpCD-M.jpg

Ha, I think it's a great idea. But then again, seems I'm "wrong" a lot of times :rolleyes:

I like the dark perimeter edging on the rear wall. Is that stock of did you add it ?

SWMBO. Never heard that one before. You made me laugh. My SWMBO Is usually right though. That’s sometimes irritating. Waxing might seem a little fussy but there’s nothing wrong with taking care of your stuff. Not having a truck camper, I would like to know if folks normally have to remove them from the their trucks for routine maintenance at a garage. Maybe no for lighter ones (4wheel) but yes for heavier ones (Northern Lite)? Thanks and Happy Travels.

Hilda Rumpole was "she who must be obeyed."

A formidable force in the life of one Horace Rumpole , an Old Bailey hack.

Merry Christmas all !

Mark, somewhere in the threads is a post (2014 or there abouts) by Stan Kennedy/FWC advising people not to use castors under the jacks because of potential damage to the frame if one of the castors caught on something while moving the camper. You might reach out to him to get more details. Personally, I like the idea, but wouldn’t want to tweak a camper.

Thanks WS,

I only use the casters from the driveway to the garage. I have a very smooth transition at that joint.

The casters really help when loading. No more fighting to get the truck just perfect.

It also helps when loading with the CFO/SWMBO so I'm not yelling "I can't hear your head shaking" when I'm trying to get the truck just perfect and she is "guiding" me. :rolleyes:

Originally, when we re-did our garage doors 30 years ago, my old K25 Silverado would fit in the garage with our older Grandby on it.

Newer GMT800 truck is just a tad taller and the fantastic fans are a bit taller than the old tin roof vent we had. I'm about an inch too tall now to pull the truck in the garage with the camper.

Klahanie-

Yes the dark trim band is stock. Ours is a 2019. We wanted the look of the old school "classic" sheet metal & trim. It reminded us of our original Grandby. The band is all the way around the camper. Sides & back. There is an upper 1" band as well

Colorado Mark said:
<snip>

It also helps when loading with the CFO/SWMBO so I'm not yelling "I can't hear your head shaking" when I'm trying to get the truck just perfect and she is "guiding" me. :rolleyes:

<snip>
I didn’t know “The Boss of Me” has a sister. We should get them together one of these days.

MaxSand said:
SWMBO. Never heard that one before. You made me laugh. My SWMBO Is usually right though. That’s sometimes irritating. Waxing might seem a little fussy but there’s nothing wrong with taking care of your stuff. Not having a truck camper, I would like to know if folks normally have to remove them from the their trucks for routine maintenance at a garage. Maybe no for lighter ones (4wheel) but yes for heavier ones (Northern Lite)? Thanks and Happy Travels.

When we got our new camper, we said we really never want to remove it. I normally do all maintenance on the camper & truck with the camper on.

My Chebby has the typical LS exhaust manifold leaks. 4 Broken bolts. Bothe sides, very end bolts. Got new manifolds & all the parts. Its easier to do that repair by raising the vehicle and removing the inner fenders and being able to stand up to remove the broken studs from the heads.

Also going to inspect and do any brake work if needed while its in the air.

Borrowing a friends lift in his garage. Truck & camper will fit in his garage just his lift won't pick the truck up evenly with the camper on. Remove the camper and I can pull the truck all the way in on the lift so it sits properly on the lift arms.

My wife insists that our camper gets a thorough washing and is waxed whenever it is off the truck. The truck get the same. She helps every step of the way.

I would assume all campers need to come off at some point for some maintenance. When I repainted the bottom of my camper it was still in pretty good shape. I'd rather do it before it "needs" it.

As for waxing, I've never waxed my camper and so far at least, haven't really seen the need.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
I didn’t know “The Boss of Me” has a sister. We should get them together one of these days.
Only one long lost sister? Apparently not.............

Colorado Mark said:
My better half, CFO, SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) says I'm nuts.
Take the camper off and figured. . . . what the heck. . . may as well wash & wax the roof and the sides since its in the garage.
Seems perfectly normal to me! No wife, but the girlfriend thought the same about me when I would wax the frame on my Willys Wagon twice a year. Sometimes I miss her.....

If you saw the framing and how the jack brackets are attached, I doubt you'd want to use the casters even on the smoothest of surfaces.

The brackets/attachment simply are not designed to accept any asymmetric loading, only a static vertical load to the ground. If you dislocate a bracket while moving the camper on casters, I can easily see the camper getting all bent out of shape. And I seriously doubt this would be considered a warranty repair. Much easier and safer to build a platform on casters to move the camper. Obviously, such doesn't help with loading the camper into/onto the truck.

Tom (former FWC (the company) owner) and I had a very, very brief discussion about the use of castors; he stated "don't use them attached directly to the jack legs".

DavidGraves said:
What wax seems to work well with the aluminum painted siding ?

David, I just use a combo wash and wax like zip or similar. Seems to work well enough for me. Our siding has held up remarkably well with very little attention. I'm not sure how much occasional waxing has helped, especially at this latitude, but the type I use is cheap and easy enough. I'm not rubbing on hard carnauba

Back
Top Bottom