Name This Puppy - Win A Fish

the fisherman

Big Time
Newest member of the fishing famiily needs a name, give this puppy a nautical name and win a box of frozen albacore fillet. No names like Granby or Bubba. NOW I REALLY NEED TO CATCH SOME FISH-THESE DOGS EAT

Attachments

• pup pic 016.JPG
    pup pic 016.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 383
How about "Grommet", meaning an apprentice sailor or a ships boy.I had a Newfy/Rott mix he was the best dog ever!Of course his name was Bear.

Pretty Good One

I guess I should have mentioned that this puppy is a Newfoundland, is now about 4 weeks old and is still with mom, he weighs about 12# right now,at about 16 months he will probably weigh about 160#. I have had many of these dogs in the course of my life, I think 11 total, they have a long maratime history as ships dogs, and water rescue dogs. I have used the following names already, Tug, Sailor, Bosun,boline,bo for short, and Captain, cap. for short. I'm out of ideas.

Three from Melvile's Mobey Dick

Starbuck -
The first mate of the Pequod. Starbuck questions Ahab’s judgment, first in private and later in public. He is a religious man who believes that Christianity offers a way to interpret the world around him, although he is not dogmatic or pushy about his beliefs. Starbuck acts as a conservative force against Ahab’s mania.

Captain Boomer -
The jovial captain of the English whaling ship the Samuel Enderby. Boomer lost his arm in an accident involving Moby Dick. Unlike Ahab, Boomer is glad to have escaped with his life, and he sees further pursuit of the whale as madness. He is a foil for Ahab, as the two men react in different ways to a similar experience.

Pip -
A young black boy who fills the role of a cabin boy or jester on the Pequod. Pip has a minimal role in the beginning of the narrative but becomes important when he goes insane after being left to drift alone in the sea for some time. Like the fools in Shakespeare’s plays, he is half idiot and half prophet, often perceiving things that others don’t.

Looking forward to the fish...
Chris

Mowerman

I used to work my dogs at water rescue meets, there was always 3 or 4 Newfs with the name Bear, very popular. I hope someday you have another Newf. or Newf. mix, you will never find a better dog I don't think. But they're not for everybody, if you live in an apartment and drive a Mini Cooper, you're out. Thanks for all the names, I have a favorite, I'll wait a whlie and see what happens.

A non-nautical theme

4 weeks ago, the sun was in the constellation Aries, which has 3 named stars - Hamal, Sheratan, and Mesarthim.

SEAMAN - Lewis and Clark expedition Newfoundland which Lewis apparently purchased for $20.00 in 1803. Due to misreading the expedition journal, many Newfoundland dogs were named "Scannon" by mistake. About 100 years ago a more careful reading of the journal revealed "Seaman" is correct.

Scannon

Thanks, I've never heard that, I am always interested in anything about Newfoundland history, and they have quite a history. I've read incredible stories about their water rescue skills, most documented and almost all un believable.

Astrology vs. Astronomy

Ed was the moon in the 7th house?

I have no idea. I'm a student of astronomy, not astrology. If we were able to see the constellations during the day, we would see that today the sun is in Taurus, but in keeping with the astrology calendar, someone born today would have a "sign" of Gemini. I've always wanted to have the fun of telling an astrologer that their data is 2000+ years out of date, but the opportunity hasn't presented itself.

Oh, I think your funny.

I was sure you were joking around, I just didn't put the levity into my choice of words that I felt as I typed it. My response sounded light hearted to my mind's ear - just as this one does - but I don't think it translated well.

Back
Top Bottom