National Weather Service "Point Forecast"

MarkBC

The Weatherman
Site Team
OK -- Call me late to the party...not sure how late, several years I think...and it's kinda embarrassing as "The Weatherman":
I just today discovered the National Weather Service "Point Forecast" feature/service, which allows you to click on a place -- any place -- on a Google Maps interface and a forecast for a couple-mile-wide zone is returned.
Maybe it's already been shared here...but it's so cool that I thought I'd take a chance of repeating something already known and post it anyway.

For example:

nws_main-page-2.jpg

These Point Forecasts are generated automatically by a computer interpolating between human-mediated forecasts for specific points.

I came across it when looking at the weather forecast for Mt. Bachelor...and I wondered how/if they got a NWS forecast specific for Mt. B...? And then I saw that a forecast could be generated for a few miles north of Mt. B -- or anyplace else! Very cool! :)

These Point Forecasts -- via the clickable map -- are part of the forecast page you get when you enter a location (e.g., zip code, etc.) in the box near the top of this page: National Weather Service,
as shown below:

nws_main-page-1.jpg

Once you're on the Map you can zoom out and pan around and click on it wherever you want a forecast -- you don't have to start in a particular location. Like, I could start at Bend and zoom, pan, zoom the map to Spencer Hot Springs if I wanted to...

In the past I interpolated in my head the weather forecast for favorite middle-of-nowhere spots in eastern Oregon by looking at the forecasts for Lakeview and Burns, OR and McDermitt, NV...but now I can let computers do the work for me!
:)

I think I discovered this feature by accident a few years ago as I was clicking around on the eastside of the Steens Mtn. Noticing the temperature difference between the summit plateau (over 9000') and the Alvord Playa(approx 4000'). The horizontal difference on the very steep eastern escarpment is minimal but the elevation is significant.

You are late to the party-but as they say- better late than never! But you have seen the light :) ! Several months ago they changed the site format and added several new features-and they have made the site better. Just as are most weather help aids, it's best used with other source data-especially trip planning because they can and do make mistakes and it seems that so many of the places we play in are known for weather that can and does seemingly change by the hour :p . Enjoy,

Smoke

Smokecreek1 said:
...Just as are most weather help aids, it's best used with other source data-especially trip planning because they can and do make mistakes and it seems that so many of the places we play in are known for weather that can and does seemingly change by the hour...
For sure, these interpolated forecasts are going to be no better than the primary forecasts on which they are based...and we know how frequently those are not quite 100% accurate. ;)

MarkBC said:
<snip>...............................................and we know how frequently those are not quite 100% accurate. ;)
You are right with this but compared to even just a few years ago - no matter how much we like to complain - the forecasts have improved a great deal.

ski3pin said:
You are right with this but compared to even just a few years ago - no matter how much we like to complain - the forecasts have improved a great deal.
I'm sure that's true...
Some locations, though, are more-predictable than others, and some weather parameters are more-predictable than others. Seems like forecasts of amount-of-snow in my location are usually way off... They do better forecasting temperatures.

chnlisle said:
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

82°57°
Wed 79°50° Thu 75°45° Fri 73°48° Sat 75°48° Sun 81°52°
And just add 35° to those temps and you get your forecast for 6 months from now...lovely. ;)

MarkBC said:
I'm sure that's true...
Some locations, though, are more-predictable than others, and some weather parameters are more-predictable than others. Seems like forecasts of amount-of-snow in my location are usually way off... They do better forecasting temperatures.

And just add 35° to those temps and you get your forecast for 6 months from now...lovely. ;)
Got that covered.

Unit 5 SP 1.JPG

Back
Top Bottom