Nature: "The Sagebrush Sea"

MarkBC

The Weatherman
Site Team
PBS Nature is talking about my territory tonight -- right now! :)

The Sagebrush Sea

I'm not watching it right now, thanks to the miracle of DVR...maybe later or tomorrow.

I finally got around to watching this off the DVR -- very nice. :) Recommended.

The usual amazing, stunning, photography that's expected from Nature, but this time it was focused on an environment that's very familiar to me -- the high sagebrush desert of the American West.
The program featured and focused on the sage grouse -- which isn't surprising since they're so showy and unique to the sagebrush high desert. I'm glad they also touched on other birds and a few mammals as well as vegetation and landforms a bit.
It was unusual to my ears to hear the phrase "high desert" on a national program (without referring to the Mojave area "high desert" of SE California when the space shuttle landed at Edwards).
I'm not sure exactly where most of it was filmed, but the type of landscape was very familiar to me.

The full episode is available to watch on the PBS Nature website: The Sagebrush Sea.

Watching this inspires me to get back out there. Last time was in January...

Yes, this is a wonderful program where, I figure, several of us felt "right at home". Thanks for the heads up Mr. BC!

For those of us who get Reno PBS-we got a double whammy because Reno runs it's own weekly program on "sagebrush stuff "! While not as richly produced as that wonderful "Nature" program, we got a double treat and inducement that week to roll in and enjoy the wild sagebrush (and I did :D )!

Smoke

Just remembered one of the most interesting -- and amazing -- facts I learned in the program:

Frequently the majority of female sage grouse in an area will choose to mate with just one most-appealing male: Researchers have observed one male grouse mate with 37 females in 37 minutes. :eek:
Damn, that's gettin busy! Who knew that such a plump feathered fellow could be such a stud! :D

But I pity the poor neglected majority of males...guess they just watch a lot of TV, go bowling, maybe drink. ;)

Back
Top Bottom