Near Pagosa Springs, (something) Fork Road? Help finding a place!

hoyden

Lady Bug
In September, 2016, I camped in Colorado off Hwy 160 heading West towards Durango. I camped somewhere off that road, per recommendation of someone here. I have no coordinates saved anywhere that I can find for this location! I think it was West Fork Road, but when I look on Google maps, the only road by that name has houses on it. Maybe it was South Fork or ???
It was a dirt road with little camp/boondocking sites dispersed along the river.

My step-brother and his wife are off on a journey and I'm trying to get them coordinates of some lovely places to camp along their route.

Who knows of this location?
Thank you!

3nKyK3-Y0pHrGRAnXpdmU56WJ_T_dLXUUNV2KQRWW_Yfrg83GzzlptBAF9unZOYwj8kFp1Xz1SxVt6XJRgO9OG76NpiHGA0GnSi9uaE3R8Uo8-i4iIrQujeyv4Mjt_Ek-KkCTCypLAZopCh6dTk1OErIZTpAOhnrjHpYRRSOafE6bF_K87mVFxtsm9mmKv8w80Jje2UuAn5EINM6ondqOB2xOXPEHfjFvtLg-CtgxMjVW0IOtFQ4gSWZS6fyzbqoVYgap0pJpHFvWJPOFf6U-FExgjyRdj4phdWeEvW0i9u7paeCix-d1_4crdRpCiSgsTd0EEQsN5xRrqhlw4EMVi6xf1WK-l1yYhpojl7qub-e0zv6_jE5I5Z7mGS3ZoOGWeuwfPzAIZmvFCiqwff1d_lA3yt3sO92GHdS9Osh6WHRL4ehTfcuSOtNWDkGq_EVKgtIMcqP2IJ7M33vgoFvCA7v1Vo7aW6Y7VA0NR6rfE5nAA8mG1ehC1zteDjo8yTK5Aywl3yWoctPpdhe4if-dEGr_ihSwxjbMA6lP6AVcqrdpFYw2dKOAgLcVqP5u9h82ODvtw5SO8JkDCuiIOXyfUldDLd0aQ2eLnHHevYSKI7vZrVdTO-s7g=w1024-h576-no

I usually power up the handheld GPS & drop a waypoint at each campsite & name it something related to the location or the trip.
That gives me lat/lon that I can look up later and refind the campsite or associate with photos.
Of course, if the metadata stored with the original photo has location.... :)

Paul

I believe you're referring to the dispersed sites along the Piedra River just north of the Hwy 160 crossing (west of Pagosa Springs). As I recall there are several sites along the west and east banks of the river. Rough lat/lon coordinates: 37° 13.5' N and -107° 20.5' W
Rico

PaulT - um yeah. I /usually/ drop a waypoint on my locations, but seem to not have on that one. It happens. And the photo does not have any location metadata.

RicoV - thanks for the suggestion, but I looked up your coordinates and that isn't the same place.
The road I was on was indeed off 160, not far from Pagosa Springs, but it was a dirt road devoid of any buildings.
I'm pretty sure it was a named "East Fork Road" or "something Fork Road" But I haven't been able to find it on Google Maps.

I'm thinking it was East of Pagosa Springs, as I vaguely remember driving through that town the next morning on my way to Durango. But I'm not confident in that memory.

Hi Hoyden
This probably won't help and I wish I could. The one time there with my wife for a gem show, there was a guy camping on blm or forest road and it was east of PS, not very far.
Map quest shows East fork Rd east of PS town Goes like this Jackson Mountain Rd on left then Elk Dr on right then a second Jackson Mountain Rd on left again. You would be parallel to San Juan river. When 160 crosses over the river East Fork is on your right. As you travel on EF Rd it "Y" and both seem to have same name EF Rd. Also see County road 667 on the Road named East Fork Rd. Going straight on the Y looks like there are no residents along there and it does cross a river.
There are some other roads before you see Jackson Mountain but this is where I started nameing roads for reference. All this area is in green so should be forest or Blm land.

Russ

Russ, that does look like the likeliest candidate, but I seem to remember it being more wooded on the entrance to the road. I'll check out the other roads near there. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom