Need to upgrade 4x4

Wyethia0

Last year on our annual pilgrimage to DVNP, we were shut out of driving on two roads that we had previously driven on with no problem, Johnson Canyon, and Chloride Cliff from Monarch Canyon. Our vehicle has not changed (2007 Xterra stock 4x4 6 speed manual with 200k miles), and we are still the same drivers with good dirt skills.

In both cases we were stopped by a short section that our vehicle could not clear. Since the park service seems to avoid doing any maintenance on these roads, we need to upgrade our ride if we want to continue going to our favorite places. If we upgrade, we might as well aim at a vehicle that can get up Steele Pass and Dedeckera canyon, Goler etc.

So we could
1. see if we can lift the Xterra for better clearance and bigger tires, skid plates etc. We would pay somebody else to do the work.
or
2. Buy another vehicle, yet to be determined, but probably not new given our hatred of touch screens, and the wait times.

We tow a ruggedized teardrop and set up base camp in quiet locations but feel no need to drag it everywhere. We drive alone, not in groups, so want a vehicle that is solidly capable of driving on these roads.

Is it even a reasonable thing to upgrade an old Xterra to access locations like these?

While I am not very familiar with the Xterra, something to keep in mind when raising a vehicle and adding larger tires to increase clearance and spring travel is that it can negatively affect steering and the driveline angle causing other unwanted problems like clutch chatter, rubbing, body vibrations, etc. So your approach of getting an expert with experience modifying Xterras to advise you is advisable.

I fully understand your hatred of touch screens in vehicles, as I have a love-hate relationship with my 2019 Ford Ranger that is mostly centered around the controls and their locations (and a 5’ bed). That said, I’m thankful for the other parts and reliability of the new technologies, I also no longer enjoy turning wrenches either at home or in remote locations.

My 2¢ worth is to make peace with the touch screen, and find a stock vehicle that will take you to the places you want to go, without being modified.

Stock vehicle that can go where I want is the problem - I am not sure what is out there new that would reliably go but be a reasonable price. I have been happy with Fords, but the OR package on a ranger is expensive and the clearance doesn't look that much better than what I have, same with Tacos and Frontiers. Departure angle doesn't look better either maybe worse.

Getting used to the inherent danger of a touchscreen is something I am not interested in doing. I do drive modern vehicles at work and we are having problems. It is one thing to drive a vehicle when you can call dispatch and have a coworker drive out and pick you up. it is another thing when you are on your own. Having your entire dash die or start blinking at you is no fun. Having to use the same disfunctional screen to change settings really sets you up for problems if you are miles from pavement. Don't get me started about using touch screens in subzero weather.

Rant over. we are willing to buy a used vehicle with less miles and more capabilities, but thought we would see whether anyone had luck with aftermarket upgrades on Xterra.

ckent323 - agreed, it takes a lot of time to get that expertise, and when it comes to safety items, it is important.

Wyethia0 said:
Stock vehicle that can go where I want is the problem - I am not sure what is out there new that would reliably go but be a reasonable price. I have been happy with Fords, but the OR package on a ranger is expensive and the clearance doesn't look that much better than what I have, same with Tacos and Frontiers. Departure angle doesn't look better either maybe worse.

Getting used to the inherent danger of a touchscreen is something I am not interested in doing. I do drive modern vehicles at work and we are having problems. It is one thing to drive a vehicle when you can call dispatch and have a coworker drive out and pick you up. it is another thing when you are on your own. Having your entire dash die or start blinking at you is no fun. Having to use the same disfunctional screen to change settings really sets you up for problems if you are miles from pavement. Don't get me started about using touch screens in subzero weather.

Rant over. we are willing to buy a used vehicle with less miles and more capabilities, but thought we would see whether anyone had luck with aftermarket upgrades on Xterra.
We like our Toyota Tundra a lot. We have gone into Johnson canyon with it and probably will do so again in March. We had a highlander previously and just could not go where we wanted to. Often being stopped just as you described. The freedom of movement and access provided by a stock 4 x 4 is pretty fantastic.

I am not clear what vehicles you drive at work, but we have not had any trouble with the digital screen other than occasional bluetooth connection hassles with our phones.

Good luck in your search -- there are lots of options that should meet your needs.

I am also not very familiar with the Xterra. They do appear to have good approach and departure angles along with a short wheelbase. If the rig has a 2-speed transfer case I’d be inclined to go with slightly taller tires and just enough lift to allow clearance when loaded up. There must be a Nissan forum discussing the range of tire size/lift options.

I second Dave's suggestion. Old Man Emu has a suspension kit for your vehicle, which would give you a useful lift (around two inches) without messing up driveline angles or your fuel economy too much. Combine that with new tires of a modest increase in diameter and it might be all you need and allow you to stick with a vehicle you know and like.

fuzzymarindave and JHanson,

That sounds like what we might be looking for. Xterras are great 4x4 vehicles with good clearance and departure angle if you take off the idiotic hard mudflaps, but a couple more inches might get us there.

It really depends on what hung you up, right? A lift won’t change the relationship between your axels and the ground. With a little work, you could probably squeeze 33s in without lifting at all. The lift would further increase your approach and departure angles.

We walked up Dedeckera Canyon a couple weeks ago. I wouldn’t buy a vehicle just for that. It’s gotten pretty bad. However our stock vehicle made it to Steele Pass and Johnson Canyon ok.

Back
Top Bottom