Nevada Weekend Getaway

Great trip and pics as always. I especially like the jar full of rattles looking through the window.

Ski, did you happen to visit Ione just to the north? There used to be this great buckaroo bar in that "town."

Good pics. I haven't been to Berlin in six or seven years.

Stew, yes we visited Ione. The Lady really liked the setting and the town. Is this the saloon?

Ski, I think the place that was open when I was last in Ione was back down the road there by the tree. A long time ago I remember having a beer or two in saloon you've pictured in the foreground. They may only be open during the "busy" tourist season. Those stores tend to come and go with the price of gold . . .

We used to drop through Ione on our exploration trips to and from NV's interior ranges. I think Arc Dome and Mt Jefferson are out that way and a bit to the east.

And Diana's Punch Bowl is farther still. We repelled into that oddity on one windy, snowy day.

Your image really catches the feel of that desert hamlet, eh?

Stew

Ski,

Thanks for the report. We did B.I. State Park a year or so ago and really enjoyed it. Even got to go into some of the buildings. Trip report here. Will have to go back and take in Ione this time.

Craig, this is another one you could do in a three-day weekend. About 4 hours drive time for those of us in the Sac area.

Ted, thanks for pointing out your trip report, I had missed it. Enjoyed it, although some of the photos seem to be no longer linked. There is so much to see out in Nevada!

Hmmm. I didn't notice the links didn't work anymore. My guess is they didn't transfer over from the old site software to the new. I reloaded the photos and reset the links. Thanks for letting me know that.

Wow, Ted, thanks for taking the time to do that! Great photos, really appreciate it. Really nice to see Berlin preserved. I was just doing some research on Aurora and seeing how little remains there. Too bad, especially with the links to Mark Twain and Roughing It, one of my favorite books.

Good stuff there, 3pin. I could literally spend months exploring around central Nevada. Dixie Valley alone has so much cool stuff to poke around that I'd probably never actually get to anything else. Good hot springs out there, along with Potts, Alkali, Fish Lake, and many others. Absolutely perfect weather this time of year too.

Ski,

Thanks for the report. We did B.I. State Park a year or so ago and really enjoyed it. Even got to go into some of the buildings. Trip report here. Will have to go back and take in Ione this time.

Craig, this is another one you could do in a three-day weekend. About 4 hours drive time for those of us in the Sac area.

Ted, how busy you think it gets on a holiday weekend? I have three, possibly four days off for memorial weekend. If it wouldn't be a zoo I make make the trip.

Gotta agree with BSS on that one. To be safe, you could try to get there Friday night. Another option - check out the satellite image of the road from Gabbs to the park. There are a couple of forest service roads that come off of it in an area with lots of trees. You could probably find a good place to boondock on one of those.

Back
Top Bottom