Never look at new trucks!

Barko1

Stopped by the Ford dealer to just sniff around, maybe look at an economy machine for the in town errands but had to look at the new trucks. There was a nice new diesel, 6 speed auto, F350 4x4, long bed, double cab. Just what I need to haul the FWC, or my toy hauler, and my multiple dogs! Wasn't as expense as I thought it would be so it was tempting, only....$44000

Lot of dinero!

i saw a f450, 4wd, drw, with a factory fifth wheel prep...rv connector in the bed etc.

wow
there should be a law againg showing things like that in public!

Stopped by the Ford dealer to just sniff around

Barko1,

Did you take a ride in the new diesel truck? They are amazingly quiet. If you didn't know it was a diesel.....you'd think you were in a gasser.

It is tempting.

$44000

Actually did drive a new truck off the lot a couple of weeks ago. Well, my wife did, I followed her in our old truck. But looking at the prices you guys are throwing around, I don't feel too bad. Granted ours is a half ton gasser, but it is more truck than we have had under our camper for the last seven years.

Actually did drive a new truck off the lot a couple of weeks ago. Well, my wife did, I followed her in our old truck. But looking at the prices you guys are throwing around, I don't feel too bad. Granted ours is a half ton gasser, but it is more truck than we have had under our camper for the last seven years.

And that is the cheap one, some are around $60k if you like bells and whistles. Think I'll wait a few years and then by it with 40k on it.

All the pimp luxo-gear depreciates rapidly. That's bad news if you want all that stuff and have to buy new. It's good news if you want all that stuff and will buy used.

When I head out to explore the Eastern Sierra, I drive a truck with satnav, satellite radio, heated leather seats, and a sunroof. I bought it a year old and let someone else eat $20K in depreciation.

Exactly! Fom what I have read I want that new Ford Diesel but I can wait a couple years. By then my 401k might make it back to a 201k and I'll be rich from all the bumps in Social Security :eek:

Yes

We looked at a F-350 diesel,4 dr , 8 ft bed, dark blue (my favorite color). Then looked at the price....

$57,000!!!!! I could do alot of travelin' with that $$$!

Went for a 2004 Tundra instead and have $$ left over...

A new truck would be sweet though.

New trucks come with a new set of baggage.

Diesels require DEF (diesel exhaust fluid), which is basically pee. Run out of that and it goes into limp mode.
The DPF (diesel particulate filter) has to re-gen often, which burns a bunch of fuel and runs poorly.

Also, the TPMS (tire pressure management system) will set a code if you change tires / pressure. No fix for that.

Here in Cali, '98 and newer diesels require smog checks which means aftermarket chips and mods may not pass.

I'm sure there is a lot more.

Comfort comes with a price.

Somewhat related today I read that sales of pickups are up but not equally across the board. Dodge up 3%, Chevy 15%, and Ford up 30%. Ford has done some nice engine upgrades, built in sway controls, even a PTO on the diesels.

And that is the cheap one, some are around $60k if you like bells and whistles. Think I'll wait a few years and then by it with 40k on it.

That's the strategy I have employed for years. I spent more than 1 year looking for my current used truck, but the time spent was worth it in the end.

Back
Top Bottom