New 2015 Chevy Colorado

Texan76

Antone seen the pics and specs of the new 2015 Colorado? That is one sharp looking rig! It will hit the lots next year. They will be offering a four cylinder diesel! Unfortunately, it won't be available until the second model year.

It seems that a good majority of you like smaller trucks, mainly Tacomas. Looks like this new truck might turn up the heat on the Tacoma. I think this truck is going to be a game changer. Not only does this truck look awesome, I would bet that the diesel would get over 30 mpg highway, plus plenty of torque for off-roading. What are your thoughts?

2015-Chevrolet-ColoradoZ71-005.jpg

That image above got a little distorted for some reason. Here's another.

6a00d83451b3c669e2019b017f8f51970b-pi

Saw it yesterday at the L A car show. Looks like a winner. I love my Ranger but might give it up for the Colorado diesel.

Talk about long overdue . A small to mid-size pickup with a diesel should be a hot seller, providing they don't price the diesel out of sight. You're right about it's looks - sharp rig.

jcfly said:
Talk about long overdue . A small to mid-size pickup with a diesel should be a hot seller, providing they don't price the diesel out of sight. You're right about it's looks - sharp rig.
I'm going on fourteen years with my F250 7.3L diesel. While I really like this truck and engine, I probably would not buy another diesel. Given the extra cost of the diesel engine, and the price of diesel fuel, I no longer see a payback if purchasing new. If I need to replace my truck, I'm thinking a F150 EcoBoost, or a Chevy 1500 Silverado...

With a bit of luck, I'll keep the old F250 going for a lot longer.

I know a couple guys that own(ed) the previous Colorados and while the motors weren't a problem, they are/were having problems with other items like power windows, transmissions, door handles, etc. So I hope they have more than just a improved motor to offer.

The real trick with these new light diesel trucks will be to wait a few years until some gently used ones become available, then you can avoid the "drive it off the lot and have it instantly depreciate 30%" effect. Then, convert it to biodiesel or waste vegetable oil so you aren't paying the diesel mark up at the pump.

Or, convert your existing Tacoma vehicle that needs a new engine anyway at Diesel Toyz in Austin,TX.

They are, but it is not being offered in North America. Nice truck, good size with very efficient diesel engine. The reason they won't sell it here is because it would cause a drop in F150 sales, which is more profitable. They know the new Ranger would sell real well here, but at a lesser profit than F150. Thus, no Ranger here. Maybe the new Colorado will force Ford into bringing it here.

I did not understand why light pickups like the Ranger were going out of fashion in the US until I learned about CAFE.
Basically, light trucks fall in a giant black hole between the CAFE required environmental standards (which goes by emmisions vs length/weight of vehicle) of a car, and a larger truck like the F-150, which are both highly profitable for US automakers, and exempt from CAFE regluations.

So, this explains the overall supersizing of the US truck fleet. It will never change, unless CAFE is repealed, which is highly unlikely.

Yet another example of the exact opposite of the intended effect of a government regulation. I will drive my 2002 Tacoma into the ground, replace the engine and every single part before I buy another truck. That's the plan anyway.

New releases on the 2015 Colorado show it to be a class leader against all the competition. Best in class towing, horsepower, and payload. Fuel economy numbers have not been released, but gm promises best in class mpg.

I know that there is a lot of people here that swear by the Tacoma, but I think that this new Colorado will change everything. It is going to take several years for Toyota to even come close.

I've owned Chevy trucks my whole life, and they are bulletproof. I would put them up against a Toyota anyday in reliability. It's true that the older generation Colorado had issues, gm put all their money and R&D into their bread and butter in the Silverado line. But they spared no expense in this new Colorado.

I admit I am a little biased towards American vehicles, but this new Colorado is the cream of the crop of mid-size trucks and I think those of you in the market for one should take a look and not blindly buy a truck just because it says "Toyota".

Note: I'm not bashing Toyota or those that own them. Tacoma has been the leader for years. I just think that time has now come to an end with a far superior product being released.

Back
Top Bottom