New Alaskan 2016 5.5 CO

Rusty appreciate your comments. If you stop in Winlock, you will enjoy meeting Bryan and his team. It looks like Sagebrush or someone is helping with the images--Thank you to the monitors. I do have more images. I have to post in Gallery and link them over.

gallery_3329_1076_121897.jpg

Linda,
Enjoyed the article immensely :) Alaskan has always been on my radar along with a couple other campers. I am intrigued by the 1/2 ton option for fuel mileage but have been told by those in the know that a 3/4 ton in a better option. Looks like you found a good way around that! Hope to hear of more adventures. I am hoping to get a truck in the next few months and then I will have to choose from several great options for a camper:) Love the pics :)

Rusty and all appreciate you reading the article. And yes, I have my Milepost out as we speak. It is the 75th Anniversary of the Alaskan Highway. Looks like a great opportunity to get a sticker for my camper.

I built a truck up for a trip up the alcan in 1969 when I returned from Viet Nam.....Made it as far as Humboldt County, a degree, a wife and a business....never made it to Alaska...it's on my bucket list for sure and have spoken to many about the trip.

Consider a partial alcan and a partial ferry trip from Bellingham or Seattle...alot easier on your truck and you get different perspectives as well. (it's not a smooth ride as you might expect)

A trip done by a WTW member was posted a bit ago...very well done...but alas, I don't have the link

you're definitely in the right camper

Thank you for your service. I really hope you get to finish the trip you started years ago. I bet the camper you built was a great one and well worthy of the extended journey. I have followed the restoration group on this site--outstanding craftsmen. I have made a trip through the Yukon and Alaska in 2012. It only wets your appetite for more. I have not made it to the Arctic Circle yet, it is still the goal. I treasure the research I was able to do in the Wander the West archives. It really made the difference in getting me there and back. I want to see Denali again. That mountain is so magnificent in person and rarely visible.

Thank you for your service as well.....I will finish the trip....soon

the NCO I currently use was my grandmothers...purchased new in 1970....the CO I'm working on is a few years newer 1973...one of them will accompany me which has yet to be determined

I look forward to reading your reports..... with photos..no pressure

Sagebrush Thank you. Put in some long hours pulling the narrative and images together. Hope to continue writing articles.

Hi Linda, just wondering what kind of mpg are you getting with the camper loaded? Great looking truck and camper by the way.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Good morning. Again, the gas mileage was garnered from elevations and Western winds. Actually winds and rain started from the time I left Pennsylvania. I averaged in a loaded truck going out about 19 + mpg. And on the return, close to 14 mpg. I returned through Yellowstone and Montana.

Additional comment about mpg. These numbers come from looking at the trucks computer account and not numbers from my gas notebook. I am going to followup with doing the math in that.

14 mpg is pretty great all things considering. Congrats on the new camper.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Truck, Stuff and More in Bellfonte, PA added Bilstein 5100 Series socks this past week. Upgrades already on the truck are BFG KO2 tires (10-ply) and Timbren load assists. Ride is excellent. Also, had GM tow mirrors installed.

Linda is tricking her ride ....but Bilstein "socks".....now that I'm retired I've been thinking about casting off my daily whites and getting some more "decorative" socks....but bilstein......

just joking....sort of (I did buy some polka dots the other day...just to scare the fish this summer).... :ninja:

Back
Top Bottom