New and looking used FWC with ?

d tree's

Hello my name is Derek

I like the idea of getting a FWDC but my concern is there may not be enough room in the back for basic hunting gear duck goose hunter , is there a model that has maybe a couch on the right side that flips up and flat like some of the toy hauler seats ? or would it be easy to take that stuff out my self and modify ? thanks cant wait to get one for hunting fishing etc ,D

PS Dodge 2500 long bed :thumb:

would it be easy to take that stuff out my self and modify
Removing the couch on an older (i.e. non-hinged) FWC should take you 30 minutes or less.

If you got some used toy-hauler seats from RV salvaged, I think you could probably add them relatively easily.

Hello my name is Derek

I like the idea of getting a FWDC but my concern is there may not be enough room in the back for basic hunting gear duck goose hunter , is there a model that has maybe a couch on the right side that flips up and flat like some of the toy hauler seats ? or would it be easy to take that stuff out my self and modify ? thanks cant wait to get one for hunting fishing etc ,D

PS Dodge 2500 long bed :thumb:

Is this what you had in mind?

Attachments

• IMG_0143.JPG
    IMG_0143.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 536
  • IMG_0144.JPG
    IMG_0144.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 527
  • IMG_0145.JPG
    IMG_0145.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 535
Derek - welcome to the forum. :cool:

The Fisherman - thanks for sharing the photos. I'm 'bench-less' and not so happy about it. I've gone back & forth on what to do about it as my need for floor space has increased. And I really, really want a couch.

I love your solution. I'm still iffy on losing the view from the driver's seat, out of that side window, but it just may be a sacrifice worth making. I also like seeing the differences with the bamboo and the carpet. I've got a roll of new linolieum waiting for me to install, but the bamboo looks sharp...

Me, back when I traveled much lighter...
Colorado+025.jpg

A cooler, a chair and a roll-up table...

Last month, 4 days off-road in Utah -
UT09+069.jpg

2 camp chairs, a toilet chair, Zodi shower kit, shower tent, 5 gallons of fuel, 5 gallons of water, chuckbox, firewood, roll-up table, air compressor, 45qt fridge....

The flip-up couch solution would be ideal since most of that stuff on the floor, goes outside when in camp. I like that it allows easy access to the turnbuckles as well. Looks like a simple weekend project. Again, much obliged. :thumb:

I love your solution. I'm still iffy on losing the view from the driver's seat, out of that side window, but it just may be a sacrifice worth making. I also like seeing the differences with the bamboo and the carpet. I've got a roll of new linolieum waiting for me to install, but the bamboo looks sharp...

My side mirrors allow me to see down the sides of my rig so I've never felt any issue about not looking out the passenger side of the camper. I do like having line of sight out the back window (even if it is small) as a quick reference it there is much behind me since my stock mirrors don't have quite enough angle to always catch what is directly behind (and I haven't bothered with extensions as of yet).

Before You Get Started

There are a couple of things I should mention. There might be a better way to do this, but this is what I did. I started with a piece of 1by2by48 hardwood to stand the couch bottom out far enough to fold up, 2by48 s.s. piano hinge, lots of s.s. screws, after you attach the bottom there will be a gap 4'' high by 5' wide between the couch bottom and the sidewall of the camper, which will require a trip to the foam shop, when the couch is up the piece of foam will fit nicely behind the couch back and the window. As for the bamboo floor goes, it does look cool, but requires care and isn't as durable as linoleum, you have to cover it for everyday use. Also the front couch bulkhead on my camper is mounted on slide down cleats so I can remove it if I want a wide open floor, necessary for me, in case I have to load the two Newfs in on occasion. I think that about covers it. It' one of the best mods. I've made to my camper, except the water heater and shower.

KC,
I do like Saltys solution but like you I wanted a couch. Also a place to secure my house batt. You might think about my solution. By raising the couch up to window level you really increase the things you can store under it. All life is a compromise but this seems to work for me.

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2000&highlight=rest+story

Mr. Pueblo, I think you need to clean your glasses, if you look very carefully, you might notice that in the down position it is a couch, and the battery will fit nicely in the otherwise useless closet, Jeez.

I like the idea of getting a FWDC but my concern is there may not be enough room in the back for basic hunting gear duck goose hunter

There is no such thing as enough room for your waterfowl gear.....:D

I just purchased a used Grandby and will continue to not have enough room stuffing my 18' jon boat and the truck. Just the dog alone is an issue....

Good luck

There is no such thing as enough room for your waterfowl gear.....:D

I just purchased a used Grandby and will continue to not have enough room stuffing my 18' jon boat and the truck. Just the dog alone is an issue....

Good luck

BD aint that the truth :thumb: 5 more months :D ,D

Back
Top Bottom